Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.2 dti cold start problems

I have already had a thread up about this a couple times,

My vectra when cold doesn't start on first turn, and when it does a cloud of white smoke comes out, but this only happens when cold, not when engine is already warm.

I have changed leak of pipes 3 times, so it not them, I have done a full service with new filters etc, there was no oil or anything on my fuel filter so don't think it is injector seals, and a vauxhall tech doesn't think it the seals either.

My battery is fine

I have been reading that people have put a non return valve on the fuel line somewhere, can anybody give me some more info on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When starting from cold and the car smokes, does it preheat? If not, when it's cold again take the wiring plug off of the coolant temperature sensor for a second or 2 with the ignition on as this forces a preheat and then start the car.

If this makes it start straight away with no smoke then it sounds like it's not preheating sometimes when maybe it should. I have this issue (or had - the weather seems to be too warm now) and have been told that it's a software thing as a preheat is required but not done. I have the latest version of software and have also changed a few sensors and it's much better but still does it on rare occasions so I'm a bit stuck now. I don't recall it doing this before I had the software upgrade for the turbo pressure calibration recall so I'm wondering if an issue was introduced in this version.

Tech2 can read pressures so this can help to rule out injector seals. With these leaking - like any other part of the fuel pipes leaking - the car gets harder to start the longer it's left but can be easier to start if left parked with the front downhill as this stops the fuel running back towards the tank when the air gets in.

If it doesn't do this then you probably haven't got a air leak and a one-way valve won't help. If you do fit one, I have been told to only fit it between the fuel filter and the fuel pump as putting it before the fuel filter may cause it to get blocked with dirt. Have you checked the fuel filter body for cracks and checked that the air bleed valve on the bottom is fully closed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I tried unplugging the sensor and didn't make any difference still when started it chucked out smoke.

Where can i fit the one way valve, as there doesn't seem to be enough rubber pipe to put it in after the fuel filter? I am looking into buy a small fuel filter with a non return valve in it that i can plumb into the fuel line to see if this will help

When i changed the fuel filter the housing seemed, fine, though i'm going to remove it again today and have a look, pretty sure the airbleed valve is fully shut as well,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did the preheat light come on or not when you removed the coolant temperature sensor? If not then I may have got the instructions slightly wrong . The 'car and spanner' comes on was well (and goes off when it's reconnected).

Have you checked the fuel filter housing and bleed screw? The aim here is to check the entire length of the fuel pipes to ensure there are no leaks and it sounds like your nearly done on this.

I know what you mean about a location to put a one-way valve in - that's why I haven't fitted one. Also a lot of the fuel pipe runs close to the turbo and is covered in a heat-resistant cover and I wouldn't want to put a one-way valve in unprotected and too close to the turbo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have put a 1 way valve in after fuel filter and hasn't changed a thing, fuel filter housing is fine and screw on bottom in fine, it really hacking me off.

Only does one a cold start, drives perfectly with no smoke, when I unplugged temp sensor nothing came up on the dash

Thread Information