User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New exhaust has me confused can you help?

Regular Member accveccysriturbo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default New exhaust has me confused can you help?

Hi all after some help. I sent 5 companies an email enquiring about exhausts, what they would recommend and prices specifically on CAT Back, Full System and Sport Cats.*

I have informed them about the modifications and approx power of the vehicle

I got the following back and was after some guidance pls.*

Company 1

We can do you the cat back system for £450 + The tailpipe(s) of your choice. *The system will include
    • * * New T304 Tubing
    • * * New Custom Made Free Flowing Box(s)
    • * * New Hangers
    • * * New Rubber Mounts (if required)
    For a full system including the downpipe it will be £600
    We can supply & fit a Performance cat for £240.
    The original bore size will suffice as you are not running enough power to warrant an upgrade, increasing*the bore size when not running enough power has a detrimental effect to your cars performance.
    When we manufacture a exhaust we always try and use the original mounts this is the best place for them, however there are times when we do need to use our own mounts,
    You are more than welcome to take pictures as we encourage it so people can see our work.
    The price quoted includes VAT & Fitting.
    We would need the car for approximately 3-6 hours as everything is made in-house.

Company 2

Adam, Hi - thanks for your email..
    OK! No problem, taking everything to account that you have said, I would offer you a full exhaust system - cutting the original off just before the flexi pipe, puttin a new on, and starting from there back!
    Depending on sound required the system would be built in 2.25 inch T304 stainless steel reducing to 2inch on the back boxes (currently 1.75 inches) with some smaller free flowing boxes at the rear, out into the tailpipes.
    This would allow for better perfomance too - I could do this for £400 all inclusive of VAT and on car build...
    For perhaps a greater imporovement I would go 2.5 inch down the centre and 2.25 inch to the back boxes - but the sound levels would be higher and might require an extra round silence in the centre section, this larger bore and three silencer system would be an extra £80.
    I am sorry - there is no sport cat option for your car... its too new - and since last year it has been illegal to fit a sports cat into any car registered after march 2001 - this will change but not any time soon!* It carries a £4k fine!

Company 3

Thanks for your enquiry.
    We are a Powerflow Dealer who have been part of the franchise for over 10 years.
    To give you an acurate price ideally I would like to see the car, but based on what you have asked I can give you a ball park guide. On the 1st note relating to changing the catalists unfortunatly due to the change in the law for any vehicle newer than 2001 the catalists fitted must be type approved (ie tested to a certain standard) but all sports cats are not which means unfortunatly we cannot touch the cats unless we are changing them like for like which defeats your objective. I would recommend us making you a system from the cats back I am presuming from your description that you have a twin sytem ie silencer either side and as a guide you would be looking at £600 inc vat. We would make our own brackets from Stainless Steel but we do also warranty them for as long as you own the car the same as the exhaust. We do not warranty exhaust rubbers for obvious reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Seems fairly self-explanatory except company 1 being happy to fit a sport cat, when 2 & 3 say it's illegal. What company 1 are saying is that if you make the system too free-flowing you'll lose torque, which is fair enough. Most people who visit these places don't care about that though, they just want more noise as they think that must make the car look/sound faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So which would u choose?

Neo brothers cat back upgrade states 63.5 mm down the middle which is circa 2.5 inches
    Last edited by accveccysriturbo; 7th May 2011 at 15:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First decide why you're looking to change the exhaust:

1) OEM one is rusted and costs a lot from Vauxhall - get a Trade Club price, it'll be half the normal price.

2) You want more noise - get a free flowing system, but be aware you may lose torque.

3) You want more power - be aware that you may have to trade between a few more BHP at high revs, but less torque at low and mid revs.

4) The standard exhaust tips are boring and you want something that looks better - consider leaving your standard exhaust on and switch to bigger tail pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I saw some nice tips on a KIA yesterday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by triple595 View Post
    I saw some nice tips on a KIA yesterday

...we're still waiting for the punchline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol.

Well having done a little digging and seeing as neo suggest 2.5 inch bore I will run with that on mine.

If I buy the vx one I still have to pay for this to be fitted so economically it's of no benefit.

I will prob go with a 2.5 into 2.25 as suggested by company 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd go at least 2.5'' as you say, especially as every tuner fits that as a minimum.

Company 2 sounds the better of the three IMO, but that means nothing until you have the experience of their service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol I was thinking company 2 tbh.

All three are big companies. One is a power flow dealer. One is a long life dealer and the other is a customer fabricator.

Still nothing from MIJ 

A noob question but is it not better to have the down pipe done also??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I went MIJ for mine and cant fault it. Downpipe/flex, straight through middle, Y piece and 2 boxes on rear. Nice oval tailpipes too that fit the cut out perfect. £465 the lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information