User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, done the Megs clay and stage 1,2 and 3 - now what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Okay, done the Megs clay and stage 1,2 and 3 - now what?

Took advantage of the Halfrauds 3 for 2 offer and got myself the Megs Quik Clay and Stage 1, 2 and 3....Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (Stage 1), Deep Crystal Polish (Stage 2) and Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax (Stage 3). Bought some of the foam applicator pads (they're great!!) and some more microfibre cloths

Gave the car a clay (used half the bar and kept the other half for next time). What a difference! I could feel the roughness on the paint as I used it - less so on the recently reprayed parts obviously, but I could still feel it even on those areas. The roof left the clay minging!! lol After stage 3 it was looking great. (Sorry, no pics as it was getting dark then, off the next day to NE so it's now filthy again!)

Question I have is - now what do I do? What should be my routine now? How often do I need to use the Stage 1? Do I just wash it and use Stage 2 and 3? Do I do more than one coat of the wax when I do it to build up more layers of protection?

Now that winter is not miles away (although you wouldn't think so with the weather down here today! ) I'm thinking i should be building up more layers of wax protection - probably something a bit stronger then the Megs one I'm using now? Any suggestions? - another Megs one?, Poorboys?

Thanks

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you won't need to use the Stage 1 until next year Duncan. It'll strip whatever protection you have put on.

building up the layers with stage 2 and 3 is a very good idea, and obviously keeping it clean with a good regular wash will help protect the paint.

if you've just bought the product i don't think you'll need anything else, no point in spending more money if you don't need to.

the only thing you may want to use on top of all that is a sealer i.e. #21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Harry. The #21 sounds like a good idea. Where do I apply this in process? After the wax I'm assuming?

Also, I'd been using AG products until now for the exterior (still using some of there stuff for non-exterior). I hated the Super Resin polish as it was really powdery when dried and a pain to remove, but I did like the Extra Gloss Protection (and have got some of it left). Any idea how this compares to #21?

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    (still using some of there stuff for non-exterior)
    would that be the interior then Duncan?!

i'm surprised that you didn't like the super resin polish, it's always had good reviews, not that i've used to be honest....but i do know the aggrevation that a chalky product can cause, they're a nightmare to remove completely. much like poorboys i found. megs comes off really nicely.

the sealant goes on right at the end!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duncan. in your title you say...... now what, well you can come and give my motor the work,s too. I bet your motor looks nice now, personally I would put several coat,s of wax on, as it will build up, I have just bought some Colinite 476s wax, and can not wait for the chance to put some on my car. I too hate the chalk some polish,s leave behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    would that be the interior then Duncan?!
    Erm, well, it could be! Especially as I also bought some of the Megs wheel cleaner and tyre dressing - thought I'd give it a go as my AG stuff is getting low. Still using AG, as you say , for interior stuff - leather, carpet etc. Oh, just realised - I was fibbing. Still using AG for the exterior plastic!
    i'm surprised that you didn't like the super resin polish, it's always had good reviews, not that i've used to be honest....but i do know the aggrevation that a chalky product can cause, they're a nightmare to remove completely. much like poorboys i found. megs comes off really nicely.
    Yeah, it's a good product. I just found that it was hard work getting it off cleanly. Megs stuff comes off nice and easily.
    the sealant goes on right at the end!
    Thought so. Any opinion on the AG EGP? Use this whilst I have some?, or is the #21 much better?
    Quote Originally Posted by ed taylor
    Duncan. in your title you say...... now what, well you can come and give my motor the work,s too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed taylor
    ...personally I would put several coat,s of wax on, as it will build up,
    Yep, going to get them built up.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duncan
    To keep the dusting down on your AG SRP mix a bit of your AG EGP in, it works a treat.

Your colour will benefit more from a good wax ( ie, PB Nattys Blue, Collinite Marques, P21s) than a sealant. The wax gives a deeper look rather than the optical clarity of a sealant. Silver looks best with a sealant as it gives it a fresh, clean look whereas, blue needs a deep wet look. My better half has a electric blue Magane and I use CG (Chemical Guys) Butter Wet Wax on this and the blue doesn't half look nice and wet and deep (no sniggering at the back, please).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTEX
    To keep the dusting down on your AG SRP mix a bit of your AG EGP in, it works a treat.
    Now you mention it, that's what I ended up doing in the past! Forgot about that! You think AG SRP is better for my colour than the Megs polish I've used, or Megs just as good or better?
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTEX
    Your colour will benefit more from a good wax ( ie, PB Nattys Blue, Collinite Marques, P21s) than a sealant......
    OK, cheers. I'll have a look into those.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Duncan......lots of questions there.......rite here we go

1. SRP is a good product especialy if you have any swirls it's one of the best fillers available, also it sounds like you're putting on way too much, as with most products the temptation is to put on loads but you should still actually put it on VERY VERY thin = not much if any dusting.

2. The process is POLISH, SEAL then WAX.

3. EGP is again a nice product I personally prefer #21 (they are both sealants) but if you still have some then just use it eh

4. And Ed quite rite build up a few layers of wax.......Collinite 476s is at the top end as far as durability is concerned and is the one I recommend for winter protection.

5. "What do you do after that" well as has been said just keep on top of it keeping it clean and I would suggest getting a spray wax like Chemical Guys Instawax it's VERY easy to use, wipe on wipe off, and leaves a just waxed finish, but remember this is only a top up wax which just extends the life of the full on carnuaba wax you have on there and for me the main benfeit is the high gloss finish it leaves although at the moment I'm using Zymol Destiny.

Hope that helps and if you (Duncan) want some #21 I have what remains in a bottle which I could send you, probably enough for a good few applications........just a thought

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blr123
    1. SRP is a good product especialy if you have any swirls it's one of the best fillers available, also it sounds like you're putting on way too much, as with most products the temptation is to put on loads but you should still actually put it on VERY VERY thin = not much if any dusting.
    Quite possibly was (putting on too much). I was using cloths but now using foam applicators which are soooo much better. I'll maybe dig it out next time and give it a go again - this time with the pads.
    2. The process is POLISH, SEAL then WAX.
    Right.
    3. EGP is again a nice product I personally prefer #21 (they are both sealants) but if you still have some then just use it eh
    Yep, can't recall exactly how much, but enough to make use of.
    4. And Ed quite rite build up a few layers of wax.......Collinite 476s is at the top end as far as durability is concerned and is the one I recommend for winter protection.
    OK, that's what I'm after - something that is really durable and good for winter. Do you rate that one higher than the Natty Blue for example?
    5. "What do you do after that" well as has been said just keep on top of it keeping it clean and I would suggest getting a spray wax like Chemical Guys Instawax it's VERY easy to use, wipe on wipe off, and leaves a just waxed finish, but remember this is only a top up wax which just extends the life of the full on carnuaba wax you have on there and for me the main benfeit is the high gloss finish it leaves although at the moment I'm using Zymol Destiny.
    I've got the Megs Spray Wax - is that decent enough?
    Hope that helps and if you (Duncan) want some #21 I have what remains in a bottle which I could send you, probably enough for a good few applications........just a thought
    It does help indeed - thanks. Thanks for the offer of the bit of #21. I wouldn't mind giving it a go and see how what it's like if it's not too much faff to post it. I'll sort you out for the postage at the very least.

Cheers

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information