User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vectra C 1.8 Clutch/Gearbox issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra C 1.8 Clutch/Gearbox issue?

Hi Guys Great forum wondering if anyone can help with an issue i have with my vectra.

Its a 2005 1.8, When trying to set off its not smooth i can't seem to get the correct balance with the bite point ! feels like theres either a delay in throttle response or the bite point is week if its possible

all gears are nice and smooth theres no slipping on the clutch just a pain when setting off, and hill starts are a lottery. Ive only just got the car been 4 weeks however ive never struggled with any previous cars and feel its car related rather than my driving!

Any help would be apriciated and welcomed.

Thanks

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Does it judder? Seems to be a trait. I get it every now and again, once a month or so. I tend to dip the clutch then engage it quickly with more revs and seems to clear it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah I'd say so, not a bad judder though more the revs not reacting fast enough, it feels like its gonna stall its hard to describe once moving there's no issue...
    I have had a hesitation in 3rd gear before a few times its felt its needed a lower gear when it shouldn't ... In your opinion is it something that should be concerning and considered sign to a bigger issue about to develop
    Thank you for your reply
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ah the revs not reacting is just the fly by wire throttle mate, I had exactly the same issue when I got mine, I must have stalled mine more times in the first 3 months than I did in my last car in 8 years of ownership. Dont know if this is something that afflicts just the 1.8. Have you just bought yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

not definate but sounds like coil pack starting to go to me, meant to be common on 1.8. Its the thing you said about it feeling like needed lower gear that suggests it to me. Thats the first sign mine gave, it was like you were trying to move off in too high a gear or with too low revs, but revs were 1000+. It would feel like it was trying to stall. If you have recently aquired the car it could need new plugs and some redex, also.
    If its picking up badly you might like to try airbox mod This won't cure any mechanical fault but you'll feel the benefit.
    Last edited by jimmyred; 6th May 2011 at 01:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My idle RPM is about 700 and doesnt seem to sit even theres a slight hunting now and again but only very slight!

I'm not one for leaving issues so i do really want to sort it rather than Mod it with the airbox. Obviously if it rolled out of the factory like that then id consider a Mod/Upgrade but im sure this issue wouldn't of been there from new and don't want to mask a fault.

(Dasarab) ive just bought it ive had it 4 weeks now the car is brill no other fault at all and when i first drove it the issue was there but i assumed it was me not used to the clutch and thought no more about it really! doh

Is the flyby wire an easy fix ?

kind regards

craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I meant that even when i revved it to over 1000 the judder would still happen, it was as if I was changing up a gear with revs too low, but they weren't.(I didn't mean my car was idling at over 1000!)
    I think Das Arab just means that the hesitation you are experiencing is just a characteristic of these engines, cos they have an electronically controlled throttle rather than a mechanical throttle cable?(correct me if I'm wrong DasArab)
    I agree the airbox mod is not a fix. But before I did it on mine I found the gears quite unforgiving, it was like you had to get it perfect or it would pull away really slow. Thought this might be part of your problem...
    It still sounds like plugs or coil pack to me. Search ''coil pack'' and read a few threads see if it sounds like what you are experiencing. It might be its just starting to go. The first symptom of mine was slight hesitation when starting from cold.
    Last edited by jimmyred; 6th May 2011 at 11:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thank you for your response,

just searched coil pack alot do refer to this however i can't find any info on how to test this part to be sure if it is faulty or not do you know how to test this part?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hmmm.....tricky one. I'm not sure how to test a coil pack, it might be possible to test it with a voltmeter or something. Or if you know someone else with a 1.8 vectra, astra or zafira, they will prob have same coil pack, it's an easy part to remove and replace, 7 bolts, 5 mins.
    You could try and read codes usingpedal test. This would help rule out anything else. If you got ''p0301(2,3,or4) misfire on cylinder 1(2,3, or 4) this suggests coil pack or plugs, you can then move plugs around;if misfire moves too, its the plugs, if not, its coil pack.
    However, since it seems like its only just starting to deteriorate there may not be any codes stored. That being the case, I would probably start with a new set of spark plugs. (£15-20 halfords). If you have only just acquired car and don't know when they were last done, its worth doing anyway.
    If this doesn't sort it, or plugs were done recently, have a look for a used coil pack on ebay. I got one for £25 inc. postage and its been fine. A new one will set you back £50, which is a lot to spend if you aint sure.
    I realise that this probably seems a bit hit and miss, but remember this is all a garage will probably do: read codes, then start replacing components in order of cheapness.
    If you're lucky, a garage won't charge you for parts that don't fix problem, but on other hand youre looking at more than the £45 above just for their time. Swings and roundabouts really.
    If you're not sure it might be worth waiting until it gets worse before deciding what to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyred View Post
    )I think Das Arab just means that the hesitation you are experiencing is just a characteristic of these engines, cos they have an electronically controlled throttle rather than a mechanical throttle cable?(correct me if I'm wrong DasArab)
    Yup thats what I ment. Ive never drove another 1.8 so dont know if its just mine or a trait with them. There may have been a software update at some point, but if its not been to the dealers for a service you'd never know. Suppose that's another reason they charge a lot more.

Coil pack. Think of them just like a HT system on older cars, if it started to go youd loose a cylinder and get a miss fire. As Jimmy says ive no way of knowing how to test them other than swap pne over from another 1.8. I'd start with a full service tbh, plugs, oil, fuel and air filter and see how it feels after that. It may just be down to worn spark plugs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information