Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default dtuk tuning box

hi all, can anyone help i have a vauxhall signum 150 bhp cdti with a dpf fitted and i have one of dtuk crd2 tuning boxes fitted, but my dpf keeps clogging up can anyone recommend which would be the best setting to put the box setting on only its costing me a fortune keep taking my car into vauxhall for it to have the dpf regenerated thanks all

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is there not a way you can do a manual regen?

The tuning boxes will always soot things up, I don't think there is a 'general' setting, just got to play with yours until you get the right balance.

A friend of mine bought something off ebay for his laptop that will let him do a regen himself, no need for a dealer to charge a fortune. Says it cost him the same as it did to get his DPF regen done at the dealer. (His is an Alfa 156 with the cdti engine)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by stresshead View Post
    .....but my dpf keeps clogging up can anyone recommend which would be the best setting to put the box setting.
    The 'take it off the car' setting - seriously! All boxes do is chuck in more fuel to the engine without any communication with the ECU etc. so it can't compensate by running the DPF cycle more often. Some sellers of tuning boxes will claim that there's are 'DPF compatible' or a 'DPF version' which is complete rot. As most boxes don't communicate with the ECU, the only adjustment on a box to make it 'DPF compatible' is to turn the settings down, therefore dropping the power - the whole reason why you got the box in the first place!

If you want more power without the worry/extra cost of having the DPF clogging up, with potentially very expensive repair bills, then get a remap where the new software forces the car to run a regen cycle more often.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    The 'take it off the car' setting - seriously! All boxes do is chuck in more fuel to the engine without any communication with the ECU etc. so it can't compensate by running the DPF cycle more often. Some sellers of tuning boxes will claim that there's are 'DPF compatible' or a 'DPF version' which is complete rot. As most boxes don't communicate with the ECU, the only adjustment on a box to make it 'DPF compatible' is to turn the settings down, therefore dropping the power - the whole reason why you got the box in the first place!

If you want more power without the worry/extra cost of having the DPF clogging up, with potentially very expensive repair bills, then get a remap where the new software forces the car to run a regen cycle more often.
    Disagree, the majority of DPF faults imo. are down to user error, or people not using diesels fitted with DPF's in the way they are meant to i.e. continuous short stop start journeys which just soot the thing up.

Ive ran a Green box on my 1.9cdti estate which has a DPF for 35,000miles without a single DPF issue.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree that clogged up DPFs can, and do, happen without having boxes fitted due normally, as you say, to people not having sufficient runs to allow them to regen properly.

However, if a cars journeys/driving style are such that a DPF is more likely to clog up then it goes without saying that it's going to get clogged up a whole lot quicker if a tuning box is fitted and set to a 'normal' level, normal as in one that gives a decent performance hike. So from a car maybe being borderline as to whether it has a DPF issue (due to driving style etc.) it then goes to having issues by being tipped over that borderline area due to the extra impact of soot production by the box. You surely can't argue that wouldn't be the case?

It's great that you've had no issues as you've stated. I'm betting that you do a decent percentage of motorway type driving though?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

It is an unfortunate fact now adays, that cars are becoming less ergonomic. If you just want to get in your car and drive it without a care or concideration to the car, you want a normally aspirated manual. They tend to be pretty dull though. Short journeys are especially bad for turbos, the oil not being at operating temp and people just coming to a stop and turning the engine straight off.

If someone does not know enough to understand what you are doing when they modify their car, I would recomend they do nothing. Remap or tuning box, the potential to do damage after tuning is higher than before. A remap would cope better with short journeys for the CAT and DPF but do no more to help the turbo. Infact, most boxes do not increase boost, so would be better for the turbo life than a remap that increased boost. Everything is a balancing act and if you can't understand the pros and cons, you are walking blind.

My car is mapped and boxed but I try to never take the engine over 2000rpm until the coolant is at operating temperature. Likewise, I keep the boost to a minimum until warm. So despite being tuned up heavily, my engine gets an easier time than most 95% of the time.

Faults are common on my engine and even after doing things to prevent the swirl valves sticking, the solenoid suffered electrical failure. Look into what you are doing and make sure you understand all the risks and what you can do to minimise them, before they bite you.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I agree that clogged up DPFs can, and do, happen without having boxes fitted due normally, as you say, to people not having sufficient runs to allow them to regen properly.

However, if a cars journeys/driving style are such that a DPF is more likely to clog up then it goes without saying that it's going to get clogged up a whole lot quicker if a tuning box is fitted and set to a 'normal' level, normal as in one that gives a decent performance hike. So from a car maybe being borderline as to whether it has a DPF issue (due to driving style etc.) it then goes to having issues by being tipped over that borderline area due to the extra impact of soot production by the box. You surely can't argue that wouldn't be the case?

It's great that you've had no issues as you've stated. I'm betting that you do a decent percentage of motorway type driving though?

I used to do a fair chunk of motorway driving with the Vectra, but over the last year its went to predominantly short stop start journeys. However being well aware of DPF's through work, their issues & the proper operating procedure for them, I always ensure that after 200-250miles I take the car for a good constant 2,000rpm+ motorway run allowing the car to regen saving any problems.

Nutron - I agree, there are too many people throwing modified parts on cars without fully understanding what they are doing or what the potential long term issues could be. Classic example of that being a member on another forum who had a 1.9cdti with a running issue, he then posted up complaining that after fitting a tuning box his running issue was even worse than it had been

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    ...I always ensure that after 200-250miles I take the car for a good constant 2,000rpm+ motorway run allowing the car to regen saving any problems.
    Hence why you're unlikely to have issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Classic example of that being a member on another forum who had a 1.9cdti with a running issue, he then posted up complaining that after fitting a tuning box his running issue was even worse than it had been

Forgot to say, given all the above, do you agree that manufacturers/suppliers having a version of their box classed as 'DPF compatible' is basically a load of codswallop/marketing spiel?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for all yours answers people, so if i was to leave my tuning box on and give my car a good run down the motorway every couple of weeks would that regenerate the dpf cause i do only do short journeys everyday normally, thanks guys

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It would certainly reduce the likelihood of it getting clogged up again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information