User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: V6 Coolant Warning Light

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Question V6 Coolant Warning Light

    I've only had this car 5 days and have covered 270 miles, it seems I have a fairly consistent fault with it. When started from cold the car drives fine, no warnings showing, if I park and restart whilst warm the Coolant Warning light comes on. I have checked the coolant level, always above cold mark (when cold) and fluid level has risen when hot. When I restart the hot vehicle after the light has been on it usually stays off. Should I be looking to change the level sensor or the bottle (incl. switch)?

  2. #2
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Where did you buy the car from?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Where did you buy the car from?
    Fiskins in Forfar, do you know it? I've been doing some reading and I think I may have the wrong header tank fitted as it's a clear one.

  4. #4
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    As you have bought the car from a dealer (trader) and I am not sure if Fiskins is a VX dealership, take it back there ASAP for them to deal with
    It is important you do this as early as possible after buying the car

    They may advise there is no fault, but at least it is recorded
    If the fault returns you can then phone up and book it in again

    Equally, if they agree there is a fault then they should deal with it irrespective as the car was purchased within the last 30 days

    Once you have taken the car back, report back

    It is possible the header tank is incorrect
    Mine is an opaque one, but the car is a 2005
    I believe from 2006 onwards this was replaced by a black one
    This suggests the previous owner had an issue with coolant loss and the solution was to monitor the KALT mark more easily
    In effect it shouldn't make any difference, but there is the suggestion as above

    Let's not discuss the bad news about coolant loss
    Finally, have you contacted the previous owner to determine why they disposed of the vehicle?
    How many previous owners and for how long?

    As a 2007, what mileage is it on?
    What is the service history like? [1 year / 20K mile intervals]
    Last edited by m8internet; 2nd May 2011 at 00:46.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Right here, right now.
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : SRI

    Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

    Year : 2007

    Default

    My car has an opaque header tank also and it's an 56 plate, 2007 car.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    As you have bought the car from a dealer (trader) and I am not sure if Fiskins is a VX dealership, take it back there ASAP for them to deal with
    It is important you do this as early as possible after buying the car

    They may advise there is no fault, but at least it is recorded
    If the fault returns you can then phone up and book it in again

    Equally, if they agree there is a fault then they should deal with it irrespective as the car was purchased within the last 30 days

    Once you have taken the car back, report back

    It is possible the header tank is incorrect
    Mine is an opaque one, but the car is a 2005
    I believe from 2006 onwards this was replaced by a black one
    This suggests the previous owner had an issue with coolant loss and the solution was to monitor the KALT mark more easily
    In effect it shouldn't make any difference, but there is the suggestion as above

    Let's not discuss the bad news about coolant loss
    Finally, have you contacted the previous owner to determine why they disposed of the vehicle?
    How many previous owners and for how long?

    As a 2007, what mileage is it on?
    What is the service history like? [1 year / 20K mile intervals]
    Fiskens are a VX dealer, the trouble is that they are 300 miles away from where I live so taking the car back is a challenge. I don't have the V5 yet so don't have the previous owners details until it arrives.

    The car has done 39k miles and the servicing schedule has been followed, I will book it into a local dealer's and have them look at it, the car is covered under Network Q warranty.

  7. #7
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iani View Post
    Fiskens are a VX dealer, the trouble is that they are 300 miles away from where I live so taking the car back is a challenge
    the car is covered under Network Q warranty
    Make EVERY effort to get the car back, even if it means losing a days work
    Contact the sales person NOW
    Advise them the car is coming back, and ask them to arrange a free replacement (courtesy) car, even if not required
    This person may ask further questions and advise it may be a week or two, ask for that confirmation to be sent to you in writing

    As a 2007 the OE warranty has expired
    The car is now under Sureguard Network Q Warranty
    However, for the first 30 days you can reject the car, so only deal with Fiskins
    This may be necessary if the engine is broken and/or damaged
    There is a known issue with the V6 CDTI and coolant loss, it cannot be repaired and will result in a new engine
    Personally, if that was the case I would reject the car

    As above, contact the sales person then post back

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    The salesman isn't in today so I have emailed him, I have asked to take the car in on Saturday morning. The car doesn't appear to be losing any coolant but it looks like it has been overfilled, when cold the level is at the bottom of the book symbol rather than at the Kalt mark. I have done 270 odd miles in it and the level doesn't appear to have changed. I'll let you know what they come back with.

    Ian

  9. #9
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iani View Post
    The car doesn't appear to be losing any coolant but it looks like it has been overfilled, when cold the level is at the bottom of the book symbol rather than at the Kalt mark
    Have you performed a gravity check on the coolant?
    When you bought the car, were you give a copy of the 114 point check list?

    Try this, before you take the car back :
    I would suggest you wait until the engine is completely cold (not using the car for at least two hours)
    Put the coolant level slightly above the KALT mark (either by syphoning out or ideally filling with 50:50 coolant and water)
    Go for a short drive such that the engine temperature needle starts to move (I assume at this point the warning message appears)
    Turn the engine off and wait until the engine cools again
    Check the coolant level again, restart the engine and check for warning messages, and ideally repeat another short drive

  10. #10
    Regular Member LarfinBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    3.0 V6CDTi - My coolant light came on 2 weeks ago and I topped it up with approx 100mls. It come on again today.......should I be worried should I ditch it quick..... ?????????

    I have a car but it wont be here till august - so not sure if it will last or not - should I just keep topping it upp and hoping???? advice please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. coolant warning light
    By LarfinBoy in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th June 2011, 10:18
  2. Coolant warning light
    By sproket in forum Vectra C / Signum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17th May 2010, 19:15
  3. Low coolant warning light -3.2 GSI
    By RoddyKFC in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th August 2009, 09:33
  4. Coolant Warning Light
    By parapaul in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th October 2008, 18:25
  5. low coolant warning light
    By wxmlad in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th August 2006, 06:29

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •