Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Intermitent Oil Level Warning Light - 2.8 V6

Hi All,

Just a quick question to see if anyone else has had a similar fault with their car.

Every now and then, only happened around 3 times since I have owned the car in over 18 months but none the less, the Oil Level light comes on.

Each time it has been whilst on the motorway on cruise control at around 90-100mph without adjusting it for a long time (and at night lol!).
    Oil Level warning light comes up on the dash and doesn't go. Everytime I pull over, check the oil and obviously it doesn't read well.

Turn the engine off, leave it 5 minutes, check for leaks, nothing. Check oil level and its good again before starting up and carrying on the journey fine.

The first time I pooed my pants and spent 25 euros on a litre of Shell Helix from a late night garage for nothing as I put in a drop and it was fine lol.

My mechanical knowledge tells me that it is probably a sensor fault, however I wondered how common this is, and if anyone has resolved the fault?

The only thing that concerns me is that the light stays on until its been switched off and turned back on and if checking the dipstick straight after stopping its not reading anything. Makes me wonder if the turbo or somewhere is creating a venturi and holding back the oil from returning to the sump... which wouldn't be good for the other engine parts

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a very similar thing in an old Vaux Cavalier... then one day the light came on, I stopped the car, turned off the engine, removed the key and the light stayed on!!!... it stayed that way (oil light on 24/7) for 3 days until after a short journey, I parked up (oil light still lit), went into my friends house and 15 minutes later the car was in flames...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Pretty common one this is and your right its a faulty sensor i do believe someone has mentioned on vxr online there is a software update possibly but dont quote me on that. But a new sensor and a software update check would solve the problem.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did anyone find the solution to this?
    On my 03 1.8 veccy the oil warning lights comes up on motorway journeys lasting over 20mins. After turning the car off for around 10 mins or so the light goes off. Also it never comes on when I drive to work which is about 10 miles up the dual carriage way.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojetset View Post
    I had a very similar thing in an old Vaux Cavalier... then one day the light came on, I stopped the car, turned off the engine, removed the key and the light stayed on!!!... it stayed that way (oil light on 24/7) for 3 days until after a short journey, I parked up (oil light still lit), went into my friends house and 15 minutes later the car was in flames...
    Hahahahahaha! damn that made me chuckle... sorry for your misfortune but thats one heck of a good memory

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tony_b View Post
    Did anyone find the solution to this?
    On my 03 1.8 veccy the oil warning lights comes up on motorway journeys lasting over 20mins. After turning the car off for around 10 mins or so the light goes off. Also it never comes on when I drive to work which is about 10 miles up the dual carriage way.
    I would put mine down to a sensor problem or possibly even a loose connection thats fiddling the reading But as said mine happens rarely... drove 150 miles the other day at 100-120mph average on the autobahn with nothing then back up at 85-90 on cruise control all the way and it was fine...

There are 2 lights though... one is for pressure, one is for the level so check our handbook to match it up. I think the oil level has a wavy line underneath the oil can but don't quote me on that.

If it is happening on EVERY journey over 20 minutes then its a bit more severe. But if its the oil LEVEL light and the level is fine when you check it then there cannot be a problem... but again it shouldn't take 10 minutes to switch off again...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra and a Signum

Trim : top of the line in both

Engine : Z18XE,Z19DTH,Z20NET

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    I would put mine down to a sensor problem or possibly even a loose connection thats fiddling the reading But as said mine happens rarely... drove 150 miles the other day at 100-120mph average on the autobahn with nothing then back up at 85-90 on cruise control all the way and it was fine...

There are 2 lights though... one is for pressure, one is for the level so check our handbook to match it up. I think the oil level has a wavy line underneath the oil can but don't quote me on that.

If it is happening on EVERY journey over 20 minutes then its a bit more severe. But if its the oil LEVEL light and the level is fine when you check it then there cannot be a problem... but again it shouldn't take 10 minutes to switch off again...
    mine does it from time to time as well, it actually started again last week, so after work on Friday i jacked it up and reseated the connecter and its gone again.. Seems it may get nudged by road debris etc, on mine its at the top of the sump front sidewall...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Signum

Trim : Sport

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 12/03

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    but again it shouldn't take 10 minutes to switch off again...
    Mine came on 150miles into the journey and did not switch off until I got home, 700 miles later (left the engine running when filling up with diesel ). Oil level was fine...
    Only seems to come on on longer drives up an incline (Slovenia-Austria), never the other way (Austria-Slovenia)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Celes View Post
    Mine came on 150miles into the journey and did not switch off until I got home, 700 miles later (left the engine running when filling up with diesel ). Oil level was fine...
    Only seems to come on on longer drives up an incline (Slovenia-Austria), never the other way (Austria-Slovenia)
    Stay out of Austria then, and you'll be fine.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    Stay out of Austria then, and you'll be fine.
    Yeh and don't go down any Austrian basements... Mr Fritzle might be waiting to get you pregnant

Thread Information