Thread: CD70 Aux In & CID Video Mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default CD70 Aux In & CID Video Mod

Over the last week I've completed the CD70 Aux In mod and fitted a CID video board from YYSNET

First was the Aux In Mod... Being a trained electronics engineer in the RAF I thought this would be easy... how wrong I was!!!

My poor CD70 in bits (and this is the easy bit!!)

Damn these components are small

I can't over-emphasise the sheer minute scale you need to solder at to do this mod... it's mad and some of the components you need to solder are very difficult to access so be warned...

After a little teething trouble the mod worked... I now have Aux In on my CD70... I've got to say though that this mod is not easy and definitely not for the feint hearted (or anyone with fat fingers )

Since joining this forum some 8 months ago I've been very interested in YYSNET's CID project. Well after YYSNET's last thread on the subject [here] I contacted him to ask how close to manufacture & sale he was. He offered to sell me one of the two boards he had and to tailor the software to my own use.

The board arrived with no instructions but with the photos on his latest thread & a bit of common sense I was able to fit the board...

This is the board loosely fitted...

The extra plug & wiring for the touch sensitive switches...

Fitted & Tested...

The yellow phono is for standard video-in.

The blue phono is for reversing camera and this auto-switches to the camera display when activated...

(The camera was resting on the dash for the test)

Just like YYSNET I am using the touch sensitive controls but where YYSNET wired all four controls I have only wired the one that switches the video picture (the others were not required for what I wanted)...

My next job is to fit the reversing camera in the rear bumper and also a media centre in the cubbyhole under the heater controls... but those are jobs for later....

So far this mod has cost £150 in total for the Aux Kit/CID Board & Reversing Camera... and I'm well happy..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great job

I arranged to meet up with YYSNET whilst I was fitting cruise control to some Corsa D's near Glasgow at the end of last year. He needed some Tech 2 work and I wanted his Aux in upgrade, got to admit up until I saw the size of the components I thought it would be something I would be able to do. At the time he mentioned about his CID upgrade and just a few months later here he is with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Dynamic

Engine : 1.6 turbo

Year : 2019

Mileage : 44000

i still love it i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Do you want to do mine? Drop me a pm with a rough idea of price if you want too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So would it be hard to do the AUX input myself considering I have a very basic knowledge of electronics?? Perhaps instructions?? I've searched countless threads and you are the only one who has done it!! Great job by the way!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Exclusive

Engine : 18VVT Z18XER

Year : 2006

Mileage : 130k

I'm not fussed on the Aux in but I do what the CID upgrade. Great job, hope you didn't burn to many fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by KeeronMac View Post
    So would it be hard to do the AUX input myself considering I have a very basic knowledge of electronics?? Perhaps instructions?? I've searched countless threads and you are the only one who has done it!! Great job by the way!!!
    You will need a pair of long sharp tweezers... a very fine tipped soldering iron (temp controlled is preferable but not entirely necessary)... an illuminated magnifying glass would be useful as would plenty of natural light... and patience.

I used a portable gas soldering iron (from Halfrauds) and a set of my wife's 'plucking' tweezers (not ideal).

I found the hardest thing to be access to some of the soldering points... some of which are component side buried deep between other components and some require mounting under the lip of an RF shield.... believe me you look at what access you have and the size of those surface mount resistors and you seriously question how anyone could do this but it is possible.

I had to strip my CD70 4 times to eventually find why mine didn't work first time round !!!

Oh and if it doesn't work then access to a decent multimeter is essential to fault find your handiwork.

If you buy the kit off YYSNET via EBay (search for 'CD70 Aux') he provides very comprehensive instructions and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall83 View Post
    I'm not fussed on the Aux in but I do what the CID upgrade. Great job, hope you didn't burn to many fingers
    The CID upgrade is easy... and hopefully by the time YYSNET has these for general sale he'll also have some instructions available too..
    Last edited by jimbojetset; 30th April 2011 at 13:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Jimbo, I really just want it for my mp3 player, I have already made a holder for it and am currently using an fm transmitter. Would it be possible to insert the AUX between the handbrake and gearstick, rather than beside the temp dials??

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You can extend the Aux to wherever you want... some have put it in a button blank next to the radio... some have put it in the cubby tray... some in the drinks tray and others in the center armrest box.... the placement is only limited by your imagination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Somewhere near arm rest I'm thinkin, keep it hidden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information