Thread: Paint maintenance and upkeep

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Paint maintenance and upkeep

Well it took a few solid days as I am working manually, but can say, I have the Vectra almost exactly where I am happy with the quality of the paintwork. I was even complimented by a pro-detailer yesterday so I was very humbled.

The point is now I got her to this stage, I want to keep her there in three stages,
    1. Till the end of summer
    2. Over winter
    3. Till I sell her on

point 1 is quite simple as the two bucket method is always in use as is low and high pressure rinsing, and top up waxing every two to three washes is sufficient on top of the regime just completed.
    I will however be switching to a new sheepskin washmit to keep contamination levels lower.
    point 2 is tougher due to typical Scottish winter's and work commitments so having her waxed is more weather dependent but by not over-washing the car it will help to reduce the chance of introducing scratches in the wash cycle.
    Point 3 is just common sense and having an ongoing commitment to rinse, wash, clay and polishing and not allowing bird lime to sit on the car etc taking car where I leave her and having a small QD spray on hand to remedy any nasties and spill's that happen.

I still have to look at what to do with a wheel polish / wax regime and am already trialling a couple of polishes on the rims to gauge quality longevity and ease of use so that will be posted up shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Derek to help over the winter it might be worth looking into snow foam(if you dont use it already), plenty ph neutral ones out there, and there is always(even last winter) a period where its warm enough to top up with wax at some point just to see you through to spring.
    Ive tried waxing my alloys to stop dust build up but it doesnt seem to make any difference, well not to the rears anyway, which seem to get dust from the pads pretty much after the first drive. Keep meaning to ask john how he got on with the AG alloy wheel sealant. I bought an EZ Detail Brush for the wheels and it certainly makes cleaning them easier, especially the inside of the rim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Kept away from a snow-foam set up thus far, for the simple reason that even though I end up with bright red Lobster hands, I need to actually wash the car over even in the depths of winter as well to understand the paint under the dirt, how very sad & anal does that sound ha ha ha ha

Thread Information