Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy 2.2 dti intermittent starting/low down problem

Hi, sorry if a thread already exhists covering this problem, but am unable to find it.

Bought a 2.2 dti sri about a week ago, was told that it had a problem starting/ low down, the egr valve and oxygen sensor were replaced and this had apparently cured the problem. A couple of days after buying the car, whilst idling the rev counter flicked up to about 2000 rpm a couple of times without the engine speed changing and then cut out, I attempted to restart the car and each time the car started up the engine was very erratic, the rev counter would show anywhere between 1000 and 2300 rpm, whilst the engine appeared to be running a lot slower and as if it was down on a couple of cylinders, it didn't matter what I did with the throttle I couldn't keep it running, after a couple of attempts the car started normally and drove properly, this has happened once or twice every day, which is a pain but I can live with it . This morning however, the car did it about 8 times and each time took 5 or 6 attempts before I could get it to run and carry on driving. I had to keep the revs up and brake with the handbrake as I came to a stop to keep it running. If I let it go down to 800 to 1200 rpm the car would play up and I was unable to prevent it from stalling no matter what I did with the throttle.Each time this happened this morning at traffic lights, junctions, B&Q car park, I had a lot of traffic behind me, so I was quite popular, and looked quite cool continually reving it to park up or whilst stationary to keep it running lol. I am unable to find out what has been done to the car altogether as the person I bought it off was Polish and we had communication problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I really don't know where to start.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Oxygen sensor on a DTI?

You sure thats what was changed?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with diesel engines as I am with petrol, I know the egr valve has been changed because I can see it's a new unit, as to the oxygen sensor, first of all the bloke told me he'd had the crank sensor changed and then he told me it was the oxygen sensor not the crank sensor which had been replaced. I never considered there might not be one on the dti engine. I've tried speaking to the bloke on the phone but can't understand a word he is saying, I think I might need to get a translator to act as a go between lol

Thread Information