Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What to buy

Hi, I've picked up a DAS-6 and various pads and was looking at getting some polish tomorrow from Halfords (yes I know, but it's the only place I can get to tomorrow lol!).

I have a Red Veccy and the missus has a black TT.

I want some clay and polish for the TT, so will probably get the Megs clay kit, but not sure what polish. It has quite a few swirls on it so was wondering what the recommend AG or Megs products was for it? I'm going to get some Ultimate Compound to use on my Red Vectra, but not sure if her TT would benefit from something else like AG deepshine or SRP?

I've also got an XP rear bumper in red, but it has a few scratches on it and some storage marks. Most I think will polish out, but some will probably just be 'improved' by machine polish. I did have a quick go at it by hand with some cutting paste, and it has helped a little but I think it needs more work. I was considering wet sanding, but not sure I'm confident enough to do that...

Any advice on the products to get from Halfords would be appreciated. They've got 3 for 2 offer and spend over 50 you get tenner voucher back. Meg clay is 25, plus Megs UC is 10... so wont take much more to get up to 50 lol! Might get a big 2.5 litre AG Bodywork Shampoo and Conditioner for 13.

Anyway... any advice on the bumper, or Halfords products to get for the Veccy and TT would be very much appreciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate,

Ok meg's UC is not a really a polish, it is a compound, it is designed to correct paint, so any colour will benefit from it, It is designed to remove paint imperfections and being worked with a machine with the correct pad it does a very good job of it.

As for polish after, if halfrauds is your only choice, then AG SRP is a real good option, it is a very good piece of kit, leaves a deep shine and ready to be waxed. Both of these products can be used on any colour.

As for wet sanding, it is not a process for a novice, I would practice first on a scrap panel from a yard.

Bear in mind that getting a real good finish is all about the prep, so claying well and getting rid of the swirls with UC is very important. One car from start to finish will take all day.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Either AG or Megs will do swirls, on the left hand side of label on Megs there's a red line shows how much cut it has. AG do some light/dark polishes, but with red and black the dark would be ok. Megs isn't colour specific, which is one of the reasons I use it, with my car silver and my wife's blue/grey.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OK thanks I'm going to start with the spare bumper which will need quite a good session lol! I also need to work out which pads to use. I have 4 types of spot hexlogic pads (orange, green, white and black) and 3 types of Sonus pads (yellow, white and black). Am I right in thinking I should start with the fairly aggressive pads for the UC, then work up to the least aggressive for the polishing stage?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It depends how bad it is, if you trying to remove light swirls then I would use a polishing pad instead of a cutting pad, then use SRP with a finishing pad.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

halfords are 3 for 2 on all cleaning products at the mo

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    halfords are 3 for 2 on all cleaning products at the mo
    Indeed they do!

1x Megs Clay kit
    1x AG SRP (1 ltr)
    1x Megs UC
    1x AG Shampoo (2.5 ltr)
    1x AG Glass cleaner
    1x AG Alloy Wheel Sealant
    2x Megs Applicator Pads
    2x Advance Screen wash

2x of the above FOC thanks to the offer AND a £10 voucher for spending over 50!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ginge7289 View Post
    It depends how bad it is, if you trying to remove light swirls then I would use a polishing pad instead of a cutting pad, then use SRP with a finishing pad.
    I was doing OK, but came across a couple of nasty scratches that weren't shifting at all. So I got the 2500 grit wet and dry and gently sanded a small area to try and make the scratches less visible. However, I don't think the clear coat on the bumper liked the sanding and it has a small area coated with sanding marks now. I went over several times with UC and it is slightly improved, but not back to being a nice polished finish.

I know I shouldn't tried it, but hey... you live you learn. Is there a way to tackle the sanding marks? Do I need harsher compound/pads to cut them and then work back up to a polish?

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

Quote Originally Posted by djr69uk View Post
    OK thanks I'm going to start with the spare bumper which will need quite a good session lol! I also need to work out which pads to use. I have 4 types of spot hexlogic pads (orange, green, white and black) and 3 types of Sonus pads (yellow, white and black). Am I right in thinking I should start with the fairly aggressive pads for the UC, then work up to the least aggressive for the polishing stage?

No, you always start with least aggressive then go progressively more if it doesn't shift it. I'm using hexologic, in you place I'd start with White

Thread Information