0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Intake stream oil

OK my second CDTi 150 and the second one I have altered the CCV system to atmos, to reduce the oil passing into the intake stream.

However I took out the boost sensor to see if it was oil covered or dry and it is still wet with oil, this was the same scenario as the first car, so must conclude the oil is getting in from the only other source, the turbo!

So looking at this it is apparent that the oil is getting past the seals but how or why? I cannot have been unlucky to have two that have identical traits one with mid 30's miles and full VSH and one with mid 50's miles and a s/h too? so is this just typical of the turbo to pass a little oil?

The boost sensor was wet not clogged, the pipe that runs from the intercooler to the throttle body was wet not dripping as such, but wet, the throttle block was mucky but in keeping with the miles done.

Anyone comment on the oil as this probably cannot be got rid of totally and I can confirm NO smoke on hard accel, minimal on a start up, and no oil usage issues. This has me perplexed,,,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might just be oil that was left in the pipes and intercooler after venting the ccv. Did you try to clean them out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you suspect the turbo to be on it's way out, I'm sure it would be worth a days graft to remove all the pipes after the point where the breather fed into right up to the inlet manifold, including washing out the intercooler.
    Give it a few weeks, then pull the big pipe off before the inlet and if it's still oily inside then you know it is the turbo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to suspect both had Turbo issues as I don't think they did but I cannot see any other component oil can be introduced into the system, however with the volume it is expelled out the CCV it is possible that it is a build up of residual oil in the intercooler as I don't really want to remove and drain this item I think I might try an experiment.

Thus coming weekend I might remove the boost pipe again at the intercooler end, and "dip" it for oil to see how much is in there as I reckon 40,000 miles of this CCV will add a load of condensed oil.

Car has been serviced at 10K 30K and so is within manufacturer tolerances and as I say is not using any volume of oil worth speaking of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all turbo cars have a bit of oil in the pipes, and its deffo going to be wet espically of the heat produced, is your car puffing out alot of blue or black smoke? because if its not i wouldnt be worrien.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is normal - turbos will pass oil, as long as the dipstick reading is sitting within line with specified oil consumption figures. Also it is important to note that tubo units on a diesel engine aren't as balanced as that on a petrol - so I have been told.

Gazza4
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I do know I don't get smoke as I had my car followed and unlike the first Vectra that was very smoky on full throttle this one is all clean

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have wet oil in my pipes this is 20000 miles after ccv to atmosphere. So I do think there is alot of build up in the intercooler how ever I have never removed this to check. My car never uses oil and never smokes at all even at start up only smokes on full throttle but that's since the remap and she has now clocked up 84000 miles I do think a small
    Amount will pass through the turbo oil seals as they can never be a 100% seal

I am basing this on all the seals I work with and also labyrinth seals we use in aircraft engines uses a air pressure differential over grooved sealing rings to retain the oil as the pressure differential is greater on the air side but the jets do have a partial loss system where as the car does not

Unless you have excessive oil consumption or blue smoke on startup then I would not worry at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winnie2457 View Post
    t

Unless you have excessive oil consumption or blue smoke on startup then I would not worry at all
    Thanks Mr Winship, the oil con's is a lot lower than I would have expected possibly a half to thre quarters of one litre in the last 5500 miles, so apart from the annoyance of the intake stream congestion issue I am happy enough but will see if I still manage to reduce the crud sitting in the intercooler from the CCV modification.

Thread Information