Thread: Amazing! Bilstein B4s, Rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking Amazing! Bilstein B4s, Rear

I know this is the worst kept secret on here but I gotta say.....

Just replaced the rear shocks on my SRi CDTi 150 with Bilstein B4 and the results are outstanding; I can't believe how much difference just the back end has made all around. Much sharper handling, quieter and more comfortable. Even the wife has agreed it was money well spent!!

What has surprised me the most is the steering. I always felt like I wanted to 'turn down' the power steering as it was too light and lacked feel; now it's precise, weighty and feeds-back what's happening on the road.

I'll be getting the fronts and Eibach springs over the coming months (one item per pay day!) I can't wait!

One word of caution to those having a go themselves: I read the How to and thought 'easier than changing a wheel', but the bottom nut is nightmare: massive amounts of torque and it's low and facing inwards so getting decent leverage is really tricky. I'm paying somebody to do the rest!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you remember to put a jack under the hub to take the strain off the bottom bolt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeh, did that, it was just the lack of room to move a bar long enough to get sufficient leverage.

still worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i replaced my shocks with them there fantastic are they not i need eibachs now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Do you find the B4's make the ride harsher? On my signum deisgn (which is the equivelant to the vec SRI) I find it really harsh and jolting. I notice you have used the word 'comfortable'

How many miles did you have on the OE shocks mate, and were they knackered, or did you repalce them just because you wanted to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good question,

time to come clean on what I had: 1 Original on one side (I've done 55k) and a KYB 'gas-a-just' the garage I bought it from a year ago fitted. Obviously, they should have both been replaced back then; I don't think the KYB was any good any way, as it looked pretty corroded. The Original was definitely knackered as it was banging all over the place.

So what I had on the back was about a poor as it gets: unbalanced and broken!

The suspension is still hard and you still feel the bumps but in no way is it 'harsh' and it has cured the previous 'jolting'. My interpretation of 'comfortable' is not a feather bed!! I don't like 'standard' suspension so I expect a bit of bumpness but not crashing, jolting or harshness. I also perceive comfort as how much better behaved/handling it is on the road.

Don't have much any experience of Signums but they're a lot heavier at the back, aren't they?? The SRi/Sport springs aren't renowned for comfort: I'm expecting another improvement when I get Eibach springs, judging on what other people have said.

Lastly, what tyres have you got? I took off a Federal Supersteel (another 'gift' from the selling garage) and replace both rears with Uniroyal Rainsport 2s which do have quite a soft side-wall. However this was a week before I fitted the shocks and it wasn't the tyres that made the major difference. Does the Signum take the 94W/XL tyres? They are supposed to be a lot harsher??

ask a simple question......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

"Do you find the B4's make the ride harsher? On my signum deisgn (which is the equivelant to the vec SRI) I find it really harsh and jolting. I notice you have used the word 'comfortable'"

I replaced my rear OE shocks with Bilstein B4s at 5 years old/68k as they were failing. After fitting I didn't notice any difference at all and that is what I expected. They're not a performance upgrade - just a like for like replacement.

In that respect you will still get the occasional harsh ride on an SRi from the lowered and stiffened suspension that comes as standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Andy CCC and Marc 100 - Thanks for takin the time to reply.

I have tried quite a few pairs of tyres (sporty, non sporty, XL and non-XL), and non of them seem to effect the ride quiality which leads me to suspect that it is the suspension.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeh, the tyres made less of a difference than I thought they would.

Looks like your gonna need to start ticking off the suspension bit by bit. I'm no expert, but from what I've read on here I would do the cheap stuff first as it could make a difference: ARB bushes front & Back plus front drop links.

There's a thread on here somewhere from a guy who swore he had knocking at the back and it turned out to be his front drop links; less than a tenner each to replace.

Might be worth checking the rear upper control arms as these go as well, there's a guy doing a demo on you tube for the check.

what's your mileage?

all this stuff is in the 'how to' section

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have done my front and rear arb bushes also drop links, a while ago. This has cured the speed bump noise, but I still have handling issues. The car rocks side to side and rolls too much over rough ground, also very jarring over potholes. Also at low speed over bumps the steering wheel wiggles in my hands slightly.
    Non of these problems are severe, but I am aware that somethings not quite right. I have a bit of play in rear control arms maybe a millimetre or two(you can get it to make noise if really tug on wheel). It has done 60000 miles on originals, does it sound like I need new shocks? I examined them when I had wheels off and no obvious damage but I don't think they are 100 percent.
    I have asked this before, and reckon i probably need new ones, just after a bit of confirmation. Thanks for any advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information