Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0 dti engine fault

hello all,we recently purchased a signum on a 55 plate and on picking up the car found it would not start due to being left so low on fuel and parked on an incline too !
    the dealers then put more fuel in after trying for 10 mins to get it going and lots of smoke from the exhaust
    not the best start to owning a new car you must agree
    anyway after about 2-3 days the engine mangement light lit,car cuts out or attempts too so we pulled over,turn off,restart and problem goes away
    3 weeks pass, this happens on 1-2 occasions but nothing constant
    then last week,my gf was driving back from shops and it cuts out and has no power when the accelerator is pressed,she pulls over but the car is on a very bad bend with raised verges so nowhere to go,she got it going after a minute,then within 700 mtrs i cuts out again,she pulls over in a better spot and waits till i arrive,i start the car rev a little and all seems ok i drive away but after same distance (700mtrs or so) its died again
    i managed to freewheel to a layby and lift bonnet,engine is struggling to tick over and sounds very loud there was also an electrical burning type smell,i finally elected to try to get it to our house a few hundred yards away which it just managed.
    a recovery mechanic was sent to us as the car is under 3 months warranty.he drives car 3-5 times around our block but no faults,i insisted that the car dealer take car and they have it for 3 working days then return it to us saying that they have had to replace the glow plugs !
    is this correct ? would the glow plugs cause this effect on the engine,causing the idle to drop and power to disappear?
    upon driving it approx 15 miles lo and behold engine management light comes on and it dies,only this time at 60mph in the outside lane of the A5,a majorly busy route,very scared gf obviously just thankful kids where not in car!
    i am looking for some ideas as to what can cause these probs as i want to give them a list of possibilities as they ovbiously seem lacking in the knowledge dept !
    its not a vaux dealer btw but a well known midlands car seller on the A5 near cannock
    never again will i buy from them !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like crank shaft speed seonsor they normaly fail when hot but get progressively worse eg first time you can travel 200 miles between failures a week later your lucky if you get 20 miles between failures.

about £40 to replace held in with one screw but as you have only just got it take it back to the garage you got it from and demand they do it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for that roswell,the sellers insisted they gave it a thorough road test but im not convinced tbh,gf just wants her money back but i want it sorted,decent cars to be fair,i drove it to manchester from shrewsbury and it never missed a beat,one of the nicest cars ive driven.
    so you think them saying glow plugs was just them trying to fob her off?...i do,she isnt the type to challenge them about stuff9thats where i come in handy lol)
    would this sensor cause the management light to illuminate and subsequently cause engine to lose all power and not respond to throttle changes(you can press it to floor and nothing happens at all)
    i was wondering about pressure regulator as there are reports on sites about this...also what about the burning smell...it smelt like a fried pcb type smell.. i just want to compile a list to leave in car to show im aware of current issues and want them all checked out before the warranty passes and we end up with expensive bills !

many thanks for any ideas at all.....much appreciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glow plugs are only for starting the car on a cold day. A failed plug shouldnt make the thing cut out!

Just a guess but i'm thinking maybe leakoff pipes. People on the forum have had to replace them when they perish and leak fuel. They usually cant be started when parked up a hill because the fuel drains from them back into the tank and lets air into the fuel system which sounds like what happend at the dealership when you bought it.

Here is a how2 replace them.

This will show you where they are and get the garage to replace them if its the cause.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When the crank shaft sensor went on my mk4 astra 2.0 dti I got the engine manageent light and aftr it happened a few times I got the radiator light and engine management light, I could floor it all i wanted bt it would rev upto 3000 then just die of completely till it stalled eventualy.

Thread Information