Well only for the day. This guy had massive paint contamination from a industrial paint spraying company, so I agreed to help him as he was talking telephone numbers from a bodyshop whom he approached about it. I thought it was a challenge and a chance to improve my detailing skills.
I picked it up, a 3 year old S-Type 3.0 V6 Sport, big 18" BBS wheels.
1: Very sharp throttle response.
2. Cramped interior & driving position.
3. Smooth box & engine.
Got it back to my detailing area. Ooooh dear.
I think it had been cleaned by a Kosovan car cleaner with a brillo pad. The paint was very rough & sticky to the touch, your finger wouldn't slide along the paint it was that rough.
I set to work, with the following proceedure.
1. Power wash with TFR foam.
2. Hand wash with the two buckets and a strong shampoo.
3. Megs bodyshop agressive clay
This photo, shows how much cr8p, the clay pulled off by 3 passes on a small 10cm x 10cm patch. I went through nearly a full bar on the car ( @ £ 17.99 a bar). The claying took 1.5 hours !!!!!!!!!!!! but it removed all the contamination and underlying dirt in the paint.
4. Second full hand wash to remove the clay residue.
After this the paint was looking a lot better.
5. Initial polish using Autobrite Mirror Glaze.
6. Secondary polish & sealant using Autobrite Extra wax top coat polish.
7. Final wax with Nattys.
8. Alloys done with Autobrite Alloy extra cleaner and tyres dressed in Chemical Guys silkshine.
9. Glass cleaned with Autobrite Glass polish.
10. Engine bay plastics done with Chemical Guys silkshine.
The paint was lovely and super smooth.
Took the car back.
Would I have a S-Type Jaguar ?
The answer would have to be no, due to the poor cramped interior and poor boot space. Getting back into the Signum from the Jaguar, the interior felt massive. The road noise from both cars are low. The Jags 250bhp is a bit better than my 150bhp, but didn't feel massively different. Certainly not £20K more.
By the way, was the customer happy ???
His receptionist said he was busy and just drop the keys off, all that work ( 6 hours) and he didn't even bother to look at it or say thank you...................
Still, you shouldn't expect too much 'cause its not a dissapointment when you don't get anything.