User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Irritating Whirring Noise... grrr 1.9cdti (120ps)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Irritating Whirring Noise... grrr 1.9cdti (120ps)

The car has started to make a whirring noise when on boost, notibly in 3rd and 4th gears. I can't hear it in any other gears although that's not to say it's not doing it.

I can only describe the noise as being similar to an over tightened cambelt which gets louder when the engine is warm.

It doesn't make the noise when idling, nor when revving the engine, nor when travelling along off boost.

I have changed the boost pipes from the intercooler to the throttle body as it was leaking oil (thinking this may cure it too) but nope It has had a repair carried out to the vaccum hose from the wastegate solinoid but it's not very good and will be replaced (must have had the perished rubber hose thing as mentioned elsewhere on here). I don't think it's this as the car seems to drive ok.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Meady; 4th April 2011 at 07:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm, have just read this Thread could be the same thing I guess.

I have not checked the aux belt and it could definitely do with an oil change. Will have to wait until the end of the month, just blew my car spending budget with the pipework above

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had a bit more thought about this and what work I have done and had done to the car. From memory, it never did this when I bought it. the only thing i have had done under the bonnet is the thermostat changed and for those that know, on the 120ps you have to remove the egr heat exchanger (radiator, egr) as it has a flange/bracket that slots over the bottom stud for the thermostat.

Now, I had the dealer change the thermostat and I am thinking that it may just be possible that they "lost" the wafer thin metal gasket that sits between the pipe from the exhaust manifold the the front of the heat exchanger.

I hae had my head under the bonnet and you can deffinitely hear a hissing noise from this area. Does anyone else with this engine get the same noise?

I would assume this would could cause the whirring/whislting/hissing noise when on boost as described in my first post?

Trouble is, I can't prove it was the dealer nor at the moment prove that this is the actual problem.

any thoughts/comments welcome, it's frying my head atm

Thread Information