Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Bike helmets and other crap

Ok so ive bought a used kona mtb. Can anybody recommend some accessories? Lights etc.

Also how many of you wear a helmet?
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Always wear a helmet mate and glasses. I buy safety glasses from Arco for about £5 rather than the stupid money charged for cycle stuff. Saddle bag with spare tubes, multi tool, zip ties, mini pump, or C02 canister, puncture kit, strips of old tyre or jeans to stuff inside your tyre if you get a tear/or folding tyre. Gloves water bottle the list is endless!

But the two things I always spend good money on are the best helmet you can afford and even more importantly padded under shorts leave them out at your peril....
    Ken-tec FTW.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have been told by the bike-nuts (!) at work (currently looking for one myself!, a bike that is!) that every now & again Aldi have bike stuff for sale (inc clothing/shoes) & its well worth the money, but get there fast when they do it (get on yer bike? lol) I would recommend a helmet & a hi-viz windproof/shower proof jacket

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Helmet is a must mate i would recommend this lid http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...ategoryID=1096

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies guys.

Its only going to be used to and from work, about a 4 mile round trip so a lot of the kit will be staying at home - repair kits etc.

Any more recommendations?
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lidl and Aldi both have cycling kit twice a year and both have it in now (if any left), it is surprisingly good stuff and a great price, the gear snobs will turn their noses up at it as it is about a quarter of the price of the trendy stuff, other good cycle wear is the dhb range from www.wiggle.co.uk.
    A good supplier of spares is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ as well as wiggle above.

I never wear a cycle helmet [1] on road as lots of drivers seem to think they make me immortal so they come rather too close, much better to look vulnerable and get more road space. Do wear gloves all the time as at sometime you will wash out on a grid, gravel or diesel [2] and you will get gravel rash on your hands without them but probably nothing more. Wear glasses clear or tinted as required, a bug in the eye at 30mph will put you on the floor - trust me

Ride well out from the kerb so you don't have to avoid grids and debris - this also gives you room to swerve towards the kerb when someone gets too close (and they will at some point sadly). No point hitting a grid or rebounding off the kerb and ending up under the car when you can ride safely in full view of the driver and not 'appear from nowhere' when in fact they just aren't paying attention.

Cycling isn't dangerous, and more pedestrians die on the road and pavements than cyclists! Just be careful and don't ride up the left hand side of any lorries at traffic lights as the trailer will cut the corner and have you into the railings.

neilrj

[1] A good helmet is a downhill MTB helmet, these have a solid hard shell but are too warm for use on the road.
    An ordinary cycle helmet is just a bit of polystyrene foam with lots of holes in (the vents) with a very thin plastic shell, these are only made to withstand a drop of three feet onto a flat surface, I'm nearly twice that tall on my bike maybe it may stop a few grazes but I doubt it. If you do want a foam hat then look for the Snell standard (probably only some from Specialized) this standard is slightly better in that the drop test is onto an angled test piece (like a kerb), but more importantly it is independantly tested, as opposed to being self assessed! Still only good for about 12mph impact so it will do jack in a vehicle collision sadly.

I always wear a helmet when using an MTB off-road as it protects against catching tree branches etc, but I never imagine it will save my life as that might make me careless.

[2] Look for the pretty rainbow colours on wet roads at junctions and roundabouts when it will slosh out of overfull tanks, also on long bends - it is only at these places that diesel will be a problem to ride over of course. If you can smell diesel it probably means your on the floor already

Oh and if anyone tells you to pay 'road tax' you might like to remind them it stopped in 1937, car tax is now just an ordinary tax but dressed up as an anti pollution measure, and since it isn't payable on electric cars [3] the road use agument fails, you certainly need not feel guilty about using the road when your taxed car is at home unused!!

[3] Hybrids/electric cars all pollute as the power is generated somewhere for the battery - it may not come out of the exhaust of the car but it will be belching from a power station somewhere!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Giro for a helmet. Not impressed by my Bell

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

aldi's had some bike stuff on offer mate, or online i use chain reaction cycles, really good service,

i always wear helmet, gloves, decent hiking trainers, and some times elnbow pads if i'm being serious.

skin takes a long time to heal at my age ;-p

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

get some slime for the tyres, saves on punctures

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab

Trim : 9-3 Vert

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2000

As said, always wear a helmet!!! They really do work!!!!

For lights get yourself on deal extreme.

Wiggle and CRC are decent enough for helmets. Sales should start soon, so keep an eye out in places like go out doors and edinburgh cycles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information