Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Looking to buy a vectra

Hi all,

potential new vectra owner here

With the rising price of petrol im looking to replace my 2.0 petrol mondeo with a diesel car. The 1.9 CDTI vectra looks very good economy on paper and good value used prices too with similar price/equipment to my current car

Looking at 4-5 yr old vectra with 80 -100 on the clock is there any particular faults i should be wary of or any other buying advice you could offer?

Also i see the 1.9 comes in 2 flavors (120 & 150) should i be looking at a particular version from a reliabilty point of view?
    The performance is not a major concern for me, i drive mainly for practical purposes and have a motor bike when i want to put a grim on my face.

The other thing i noticed is the pre facelift version tend to slightly better equiped at each trim level then the post facelift models, are there any other driffrences between the 2 apart from looks?

thanks for reading

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On both 120 and 150 bhp models with 80-100,000 miles on the clock, watch out of the dreaded dmf (duel mass flywheel) issues. If you look at one and take it for a drive if there is a rattle or vibration from the clutch area then walk away or you maybe looking at a bill between 700-1000 to replace the clutch and flywheel. On 150bhp models look out for worn swirl valve flaps but not sure what prices are to replace these. I have a 120 and it is pretty nippy and judging what i have read on here the 120 models have a stronger engine than the 150.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9CDTi

Year : 2005

Mileage : Lots

Best username award goes to... :P

Check for any rattle from the DMF. Start the car, and feed the clutch in and out slowly when in neutral. If there's a strange sensation from the pedal or a rattle appears then goes, the DMF is on its way out. On an older car, look for a metal bar on the top of the inlet manifold and make sure it's well seated and connected. Also look for any oily deposits around it. Earlier cars had a badly designed manifold that caused the swirl valves, operated by that bar, to clog up with carbon and crap from the engine, jam and snap off the bar. This isn't a cheap fix.

The earlier cars had more kit as standard yes and if something wasn't there, chances are the wiring would already be present to retro fit things. With the facelift models, I believe apart from the outside there was some work to the suspension etc but in every day driving, I doubt it would be noticed if it's just to plod along.

Good luck!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the informative replys, just been ringing around and going to have a look at a 56 plate design in the morning.

Especially thanks for the flywheel info, its lead me on to some good reading on the internet. all a bit worrying :s

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : ls

Engine : 1800

Year : 04

Mileage : 133000

hi and welcome

I think the Z19DTH is a great engine for a vectra or signum, but like many engines these days there are some inherent faults that can raise their ugly head earlier than expected, partly due to design faults, and sometimes exacerbated by certain styles of driving.

Let us not forget that 150bhp was pushing the limits of a production 1.9 diesel when first released - how many sub-2.0 diesels could you find 10 years ago with this much power??

Now, down to the nitty gritty regarding common faults:

1. Injector #3 wiring loom: This is a blatent design fault, complete ****-up by vauxhall. Good news is it's cheap to fix, especially if you DIY.

2. Throttle body: A manufacturing fault sometimes causes a solder joint to break. Easily and cheaply fixed with a soldering iron and some solder - usually no need to buy a new one.

3. EGR valve: This can sometimes get clagged up and cause problems at 60-80k miles, maybe sooner if used on a lot of short journeys or around town. Usually cleaning fixes it, but sometimes a new one is required. This problem affects many modern diesels and is inflicted by EU emission regs. I don't consider this to be vauxhall's fault.

4. Intake manifold/swirl valves: Swirl valve bearings wear out at around 80-100k. Crap design, blame vauxhall entirely for this one. Only solution is to fit a complete new one. Not an easy DIY job, so expect to pay a garage around £700 for this.

5. Dual Mass Flywheel: Usually knackered by 100k miles, maybe sooner if abused (harsh gear changes, stalling, etc). I'm in the same camp as many others on this forum - this has to be considered a very expensive service item as the same problem seems to afflict most car manufacturers. Not an easy DIY job, so expect to pay a garage around £1200.

6. Diesel Particulate Filter: Only fitted on Vectra Estate and Signum IIRC. Not usually a problem provided the car gets a decent run - at least 20 miles at high speed every few weeks. If it does fail, it can be removed and ECU remapped to disable it for around £150-300. Will still pass MOT test without it.

I think thats it! Anyway, in response to the OP, I believe the best bet is to either buy a very late, low mileage one (i.e. less than 30k) or even better would be a very high mileage one which has already had items 3, 4, and 5 above replaced (5 being the top priority as it is the most expensive!). The high mileage one will be much cheaper, leaving more money available for repairs if needed.

this post i found was done by littleteapot

Thread Information