0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Android what?

Ok, I tend to go as low tech as possible. My wife just asked me what android phones are and what they do. I vaguely remember HTC are android, but as to the differences between android, smart phones etc I'm fairly clueless.
    All I ask from a phone is it makes calls and sends texts, think the above are for those that live their life on the phone, like an electronic filofax and Net connection.
    can anyone explain it to me so I can explain to SWMBO, Android and Smart phones, what they do, differences in fairly simple terms please....
    Last edited by Grumpy1954; 27th March 2011 at 21:59. Reason: Spelling, wife shrieked as I typed(dancing on ice)

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Android is just the operating system, like Apple or Windows. The newest Android is called Gingerbread, and all that is, is an updated version, like Firefox 4 over Firefox 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not the most tech of people,i went from a nokia 5800,which is my user name nearly (Aikon58) backwards,to a htc desire,all i know is,it's still touch screen and i can go on the internet with it,which was the same for my old phone,except its got a bigger screen,it still makes and recieves calls and texts,i can't tell what its running or how it runs,it just does in my mind,i only know its android because people say it is,i can't see android on it anywhere though .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, thanks guys. I worry about phones working while I'm out, as I'm not able to walk far to call for help, and our street is a serious PITA for phone signals, the only ones that work are O2 and Virgin. I understand android now, apparently my upgrade phone (NokiaC3-01) had a touchscreen, mild arthritus in fingers means I have to make sure I can use the keys - no chance with a Blackberry, The 6600i slide was my first Nokia, had always stuck with Motorola as I couldn't break them. I got on ok with the 6600 so going to give the other one a go. I always go have a look and a fiddle with one in a store first, to make sure I can handle it.
    So, how is a Smart phone smart? for years they've been doing Net access etc, I know it's got a lot better, but as I only use the phone for calls/texts I don't keep up with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have the samsung galaxy s i9000, its a smartphone with andriod system. I think the term smartphone is used due to what the phone can do as follows. Play music/videos watch tv, make video calls, play games (high quality), HD, take picture/videos, use as a modem for a laptop/pc, use internet as if on a tablet/laptop, memorys up to 64gb and most people like myself due to area of work use it as a organiser that prompts you when your meant to be attending meetings/jobs etc.
    Todays phones have come a long way, but I think they suffer when it comes to keeping its charge. I use mine alot and somedays go through 2 full batterys, I always have to carry a spare.
    My dads the same just happy it makes calls and texts, he still has a nokia with snake on it lol, I think its about 15 years old as I gave it him about 14 years ago lol.

Thread Information