User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any Electricians / Plumbers on here ... help needed asap.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Any Electricians / Plumbers on here ... help needed asap.

Hi – wonder if someone can help with a problem that's developed today with our central heating. We have a conventional system with a boiler in the garage, a thermostat in the living room and a Horstmann 525 programmer unit in the kitchen. I noticed this afternoon that the display on the unit in the kitchen had gone really dim but thought nothing of it. Then this evening I noticed that the heating has not come on nor has the water been heated.

So looked at the programmer unit in the kitchen and it's doing nothing – no display, or sometimes I can see the date on the LCD panel but its really dim. So I managed to find a user manual for it online and sure enough it says the unit is mains powered but also has a fixed rechargeable battery in it in case of power loss. Well we've not had a power cut so it shouldn't be running on battery. And if the power is ok I would have thought that a flat battery would not effect it at all – just means if we did have a power cut then non of the settings would be stored?

The whole unit comes of the kitchen wall and behind it is a plastic plate with 9 connectors and 9 wires going to them – a couple seemed to be live – I tested with one of those screw drivers that lights up when you touch them and got my wife to switch the fuses of in the fusebox one by one till they went out – so I'm sure power is getting to it fine. The other wires I'm assuming lead back to the boiler in the garage to control the heating & water coming on / going off etc?

Does anyone know what might be wrong or how to fix this? If the programmer unit is bust I see that there not all that expensive - £30-40 but only had a very quick look. Alternatively is there a way to override what its doing at all? ie. Force the heating to come on or force the water to come on?

If a new programmer unit is the only option then I'll get one asap, and I'm assuming that the back plate that is attached to the wall and has the wires going to the various connectors might also need to be changed – its not a standard fitting is it? My brother in laws an electrician so guess he could sort that bit if necessary.

And another blow was I thought I'll just put the immersion heater on – something we've never tried in the 2yrs we've lived here and low and behold what I think is the switch in the kitchen does ****** all! Its a simple rocker switch with a red LED, the LED doesn't come on at all. Again unscrewed this from the wall as well and tested with my screw driver and sure enough power is getting to it but doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have one of those electricity monitoring meters from British Gas and would have expected to see it jump up in usage as soon as I switched this on – well this was my crude method of checking.

Bit of a long post …. but any help would be appreciated.

Julian.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Back plate to the lcd fits most if not all programmers!! wiring diagram on the back of the controler shows witch terminals to link if you wish to test pump,boiler and valves.Switch off the immersion heater and remove the cover you should find an over heat stat/button on the temp stat depress turn on and test with your tester. If your not confident call your bro.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks - just taken another look and don't fancy messing with it too much. But one thing I did notice which is I thought as we only have a single zone for heating and hot water this means its 2 channel - is that right? Looking at the backplate it has room for 9 wires and 7 are being used - I thought it would be 6 at most? The Horstmann CentaurPlus C27 seems to be exactly the same as our current programmer just a lot newer and the backplate only has provision for 6 wire connections so I'm a bit confused by this.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

All sorted managed to get a direct replacement with no need to change the backplate - basically a brand new Horstmann model. Job done, got water and heating again !!

Thread Information