Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : SE Touring

Engine : 3.0

Year : 2007

Default Brake discs

Fitted the new rear discs and pads today to my GSi (93186301 vented disc with pads for both sides - £74.50) and just of idle curiosity I've had a gander at EPC for the specs.

Now the point of the post is nothing to do with how easy they were to fit (no need to remove caliper carrier unlike Mr Haynes version), but more at the size of the beasts.

Being a 3.2 GSi the fronts are 314mm x 28mm vented.... fair enough.

But the rears are 292mm x 20mm vented ! That's meatier than the fronts on the 1.6, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 and only marginally smaller than the older 302mm fronts !
    Even more shocking (to me at least) they are only marginally smaller than the fronts on my old 3.0 Omega (296mm).

Now it's nice to know I can stop without undue effort and that I now have lovely fresh discs and pads on the rears, but I hadn't quite realise just how meaty they were.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

314 / 292 as standard on both V6 versions
    I have benefited from them a few times, managing a full emergency brake application on the Motorway, stopping on the hard shoulder within about 50 metres
    Shame the vehicle behind me had pants brakes, shot right past and into the accident

On the plus side, when new they are great, but once the pads get below 30% they are awful

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy-UK View Post
    Fitted the new rear discs and pads today to my GSi (93186301 vented disc with pads for both sides - £74.50) and just of idle curiosity I've had a gander at EPC for the specs.

Now the point of the post is nothing to do with how easy they were to fit (no need to remove caliper carrier unlike Mr Haynes version), but more at the size of the beasts.

Being a 3.2 GSi the fronts are 314mm x 28mm vented.... fair enough.

But the rears are 292mm x 20mm vented ! That's meatier than the fronts on the 1.6, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 and only marginally smaller than the older 302mm fronts !
    Even more shocking (to me at least) they are only marginally smaller than the fronts on my old 3.0 Omega (296mm).

Now it's nice to know I can stop without undue effort and that I now have lovely fresh discs and pads on the rears, but I hadn't quite realise just how meaty they were.
    There's one bloke on here with a proper setup - cost him about 3 grand for the fronts and rears with the fronts being 360mm and the rears something similarly ridiculous...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd hate to make an emergency stop with that, there is no way a HGV two seconds behind would be able to stop...
    The additional insurance costs must be horrendous

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    I'd hate to make an emergency stop with that, there is no way a HGV two seconds behind would be able to stop...
    The additional insurance costs must be horrendous
    You can only really worry about the person in front - that's who you've got to avoid. You can't do anything about the bloke behind you...

As for the insurance - mine was done through Adrian Flux and all modifications declared. You can see all the VXR kit fitted including the brakes, and it cost nothing extra due to the insurance company involved. Anything which didn't effect the power was free.

In fact, when I rang up yesterday to change the policy to a STANDARD Y reg Vectra 2.2 DTi CDX, the policy actually doubled because it was a non-modified motor. I had to declare a modification on it just to bring it down slightly below what I was paying on my 3.0 07 Signum Elite...

Thread Information