User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins (again)... (VERY IMAGE HEAVY)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

Default So it begins (again)... (VERY IMAGE HEAVY)

Having never finished the last install I was doing in my old saloon and now having my estate back I'm determined the same wont happen to this one and that this one's ICE install WILL be finished.

I started this install near the end of last year just before the really bad weather kicked in and haven't touched it again since due to the weather. So, with beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies today, it was time to start again but if the first few pictures are familiar to you, it's because I did post some of these at the end of last year when I originally started this, that thread went somewhat off track so I asked for it to be removed a while back knowing I'd be doing this one as soon as I got the chance.

As I'm planning a much more powerful system than the last one, I decided to run two seperate four gauge cables direct from the battery to the dedicated fuse box in the boot. Unfortunately when I bought the second cable, I underestimated how long it needed to be and ended up having to buy more and joining it together. On top of this, because of where the front fuses are being mounted now (I changed my layout) the existing cable I'd already run last year also wasn't quite long enough and I also had to extend that one, these won't affect the quality and I'm happy that the connections are good enough on the joins.

So, today's work (and some from the end of last year)...

The large grommet behind the glove box I'll be routing the power cables through.

First cable through the grommet.

Cable run cover off and first cables started to be run through. The red power cable and thin blue amp signal cable which will route to the head unit to turn the amps on when the head unit is on.

First cables run through in the front and tidied up.

Now for the back.

First cables run through in the back and tidied up.

Running up behind the rear seat bolster.

And through into the boot.

Mounting the new fuse box for the amps.

And the first power cable connected.

Passenger side speaker cables run back down for front and rear doors.

Starting to run the second power cable.

Second power cable also connected to the fuse box.

All cabling tidied up under the rear seat bolster.

Second power cable then fed back through the car to the front.

Shows the front speaker cable through and where I underestimated the length needed for the second power cable.

Starting to work under the bonnet for the second cable and fuse holders.

New fuse holders bought as my old one was for a single cable only and I couldn't find another matching one and wanted matching ones.

I've opted to mount the fuse holders in the front of the battery compartment.

The amount of junk you have to remove to run cables down the side of a Vectra front to back.

All metal coupler joining the two lengths of cable together (this is actually a battery connector that I hacksawed the ring off as I couldn't find anything else in local shops that would be big enough for 4 gauge cable).

And sealed up and insulated with about 10 layers of tape.

Same on the old cable that needed extending.

I ended up routing the power cables under the ABS pump, down inbetween the battery compartment and the main fuse box into the front of the battery compartment where the fuse holders are mounted, then continuing a loop, back up the other side of the battery compartment and round behind the battery and up to the connector.

And finally connecting the battery end to complete the power connections.

I'd fitted my head unit last year when I got the car back off my ex, so that's already in place, the aerial connection is split to feed both the radio and the TMC traffic warning system part of the Satnav.

The actual satnav aerial itself is mounted under the centre speaker vent and just sits on top of the centre speaker (the satnav has two aerial connections, one satellite aerial and the TMC one mentioned above for traffic reporting which is tied into the standard radio aerial).

I've also fitted a dual 12v/5v power supply under the centre console which powers both the USB hard drive which sits in the rear of the centre console and the brodit cradle for my HTC Desire. In addition to this, I've removed the old cigarette lighter push in button and replaced it with the spring loaded cover fitted on the accessory sockets (it's still the original socket underneath the flap) and fitted the accessory socket surround with the cut out for your finger to open the lid.

Overall, I'm happy with this as a start, new subs are on order and should arrive next week, so I just need to fit all the speakers and crossovers in the doors and get the speaker cables run through the door looms and then mount and cable up the amps (there will be four initially).

Comments and thoughts appreciated
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

Very tidy job there Ian ....Amy is better than you at taking piccies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Looks a tidy install that Ian, just remind not to get you to do estimation work for cable runs for me lol!
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now open and able to provide services

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol, yeah, not quite sure what happened there, I was 2m short roughly for everything I needed (failing that there's another longer piece laying around in a bag here that I bought last year and have lost)

Unheard of for me, I'm normally a complete anorack about stuff like that, but there was no way I was wasting it all at nearly ten quid a metre.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Looking good so far, look forward to seeing more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nice work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    Very tidy job there Ian ....Amy is better than you at taking piccies

Ian she had to take the Pictures .... ian hid her Crutches in the front so she couldnt run away

And other Ian ..... nice install mate

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you could have saved yourself alot of time and money getting a split charge relay powering a second battery in the boot also means your stereo will never draw any power from you dash or headlights and you will never flaten your battery sitting parked with the stereo on

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It isn't the same without a picture of Amy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by marty_b0y View Post
    you could have saved yourself alot of time and money getting a split charge relay powering a second battery in the boot also means your stereo will never draw any power from you dash or headlights and you will never flaten your battery sitting parked with the stereo on
    Considered it (and have done it once before in the long distant past), but am trying to keep everything in this install completely hidden (or in the case of the subs easily removable, watch this space...) and didn't want to try and mount another battery behind the panels in the boot (it would have to be fairly substantial to handle the load).

Unlike my last build the plan is for as little fabrication as possible, keep everything looking standard and all amps and ancillaries hidden away. I've ordered two Alpine SBE-1243BP sub enclosures with subs, but will be making a quick release system that will hold them in place solidly but so that I can remove them from the boot in seconds, already bought appropriate sockets and plugs which I will be fitting in the boot.
    Last edited by Ian-Highlander; 20th March 2011 at 02:10.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information