User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 noise solved (front Bearing) + 1 new noise (squeaking front brakes!!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1 noise solved (front Bearing) + 1 new noise (squeaking front brakes!!!)

Finally i can enjoy taking the highway at 70mph and hear the sound of the engine without the annoying sound of the bearing.

A week ago i also had to change brakepads cause the light went on and i bought both sets from Mintex Brakes UK.
    My car had the original textar pads and besides the wear, they didnīt make any noise. i was very happy.
    i bought the mintex ones cause they were significantly cheaper than the textar ones (about 25%) but now i think i throw my money to the trash.

i took all precautions necesary for bedding my brakes.

also the rotors were resurfaced. (not sure it is called like that)

Does anyone has had a similar problem with mintex or any other brand?

Is there another solution besides changing the brakepads for the textar ones (most expensive solution but still considered)

I pledge for your wisdom

salut

Jose Antonio Valle
    Veccy 3.2 Elegance 2003
    Mexico City

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also it doesn't make any noise in the mornings when cold but with 15 minutes driving in traffic is BACK TO HELL all over again.

I saw a grease made by ATE Brakes that it should be applied when installing new brakes, between the pads and the piston and caliper that it suppose to eliminate vibration. but when my pads were changed they just remove the calipers. dismount the rotors for resurfacing.. and put all things back in place. but they didnīt apply any brake cleaner to the calipers nor any type of grease to the back of the brake pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jose,

they should have cleaned all the mating surfaces with brake cleaner and put copper grease between the discs and hub as well as the pads and caliper.

What noise did you get?? is it a grinding? or is it a squeal.

resurfacing the disc's/rotors isn't ideal. too coarse a cut finish will cause glazing on the pads.The manufacturers of the rotors machine then to a secific finish to aid bedding in of the pads..

Can you give me any more information?
    Last edited by Gsi3.2; 22nd September 2006 at 17:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Here in mexico is very common what Jose describes when you change brake pads. Every time you change them the disks are rectified or resurfaced as he called it. Is this bad? Can you give us some more spesific hints on this GSI? As far as I knew that special grease is very important, the lack of it could cause some squealing.
    On the other hand every time that I put some new pads Iīll go gentle on the brakes for a while....this is suposedly to avoid the glazing or crystalising as we might call it...may be a myth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Over here, re surfacing the dics's isn't common at all.. replacement is the normal thing that is done..how fit the disc's/rotors are to be used again is all down to how the rotor is finished..i.e. coarse or fine ground finish.

The grease, a copper based one, is really great for stopping the vibrations that cause the squealing.. you can buy some and dismantle the car and grease the pads backing plates yourself..don't overdo the grease in case it gets onto the disc face.

yes, take it easy with the pads when you first use them..too hard a use will cause them to glaze, reducing their effectivness..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi mark...

the rotors werent new.. i only changed the pads and they resurfaced them cause it felt like and EP acetate disc (well the lines were very subtle but still can be felt with the fingertips.

I am taking the car to a friends garage to remove the front brakepads and cleaning everything and appling the ATE Grease that i saw on the partshop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jose,

make sure the grease is copper based. It will help against the heat of the brakes..

subtle lines are not a problem in my opinion. I'd rather have subtle lines in the disc than have one that has been re-ground thinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mmm ok i will look for a copper based grease if the ATE one is not copper based

your point about resurfacing is quite logic.. i never thought it that way. i think is like those misconceptions such as installing newer tyres on the front axl just because it sounds "logical"

I will try that advise and will post my coments tomorrow (if my friend help me today)

Also Mark.. do you have MSN so i can add you ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by joseantoniovalle
    Also Mark.. do you have MSN so i can add you ?
    click on my name to the left, click on user profile and you'll see my msn addy under the picture of my car...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

also Mark, could you tell me which tools do i need to remove the front calipers by myself?

is there any special tool like the rear piston retractor tool or can i do it with a simple home-mechanic-do-it-yourself kit...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information