Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 2.2 Direct

Year : 2007

Default Confused

Sorry if this goes over old ground, I have searched but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm looking through Autotrader and other sources for a Vectra; I'm cooling off the idea of a diesel so looking for answers about the petrol engines.

I see both 1.8 sri and 1.8 VVT sri models available but the BHP and torque figures quoted for both models are the same - 140bhp and 129 lbft. Is this correct? If so, where's the benefit in the VVT engine?

The low torque (even my current 2.0 petrol Passat has 144 lbft and that drives like a skip) makes me wonder whether the 1.8 will be gutless to drive, and the 2.2 Direct (155bhp/162 lbft) is starting to catch my eye.

If anyone with an informed opinion about the 1.8 (and the 2.2) can tell me what's what, I'd be grateful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not too clued up on petrols but I'm pretty sure the vvt is close to 140bhp and the old 1.8 was more like 120-130... IIRC

The 2.0T seems quite popular with more power than the 2.2 direct... something like 170ish or close.

Sure one of the petrol heads will be along to correct me on these figures lol, usually the case

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for your reply. These aren't the older 1.8 models; these are 2007 onwards cars, some advertised as "1.8 sri" and some as "1.8 VVT sri" but with the same bhp/torque figures quoted.

Are there still two new, different 1.8 engines or only one (and the advertisements have just missed off the 'VVT' bit)?

In looking at a car in the flesh, how would I be able to tell what engine (if there are in fact two different 1.8's on the market) I'm looking at?

Got to say, a 57 reg 1.8 sri with 21k on for 5.5k seems a good deal - unless the engine isn't up to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmmm, not sure mate... I was under the impression the vvt replaced the standard 1.8 and that anything after about 55 plate would be a vvt engine.

Sure there was a thread on this not too long ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If both cars are 07 onwards then the engines will be exactly the same mate and both will be 1.8 VVTi with approx 138bhp.

SRI is a level of sports trim not an engine type.

The typical SRI will have lowered stiffer suspension, styling tweaks and differences in spec compared to a typical lower spec model i.e. Exclusiv

HTH

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you're worried about having 'oomph' then avoid the NA petrols IMO. I went from an old Vec B 2.2 DTi to a 2.2 Direct Signum and hated it - the engine has naff all torque and I felt I was always changed gear to accelerate, which ironically is a criticism usually levelled at diesels...

I haven't driven the 2.0 Turbo, but I imagine it's got some decent poke to it once the turbo kicks in. It was the last petrol I owned, and I can't see myself going back to them any time soon - the deisels have the torque I love which is arguably moer important than power.

Case in point - I had a 1.8 Insignia last year as a hire car and it was abysmal - it's even heavier than the Vectra and you literally had to thrash the nuts off it to get anywhere. As a consequence the economy was rubbish. Vectralicker found this out when he went from a 1.8 Elite Insignia to a Vectra VXR and was getting better economy...

There are ups and downs to all of the engines - best option is to try the ones you like in the driving situations you'll use them and see how you feel mate...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks people.
    In an ideal world I would prefer a diesel (1.9 150) for the economy and power. However, I have been made very cautious in looking for a new car by the dud car I already have. Having read about the numerous common problems that the 1.9 diesels have I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a car that is just waiting to have parts fail on me and cost me the price of two healthy kidneys to put right!
    Or am I being paranoid?

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The trouble is that you can never be entirely sure what you're getting regardless mate. One member had his cambelt let go on the way back from the rolling road in Essex earlier this month, on his 1.8, and he hadn't even been on the rollers! Simply one of these things that can happen and you take a chance with any car.

Some members had have 1.9 150's for hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues, some people have lots of problems. Same goes for the petrols. Plus, there are a lot more 1.9's than anything else, so it's always going to seem like they have more problems...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I dont think they are as fragile as it often seems, its a very, very popular engine and its just natural that people tend to post up complaints or problems than a thread about how well everything is running lol.

Having said that my old mans has had the swirl flap problem and a failed alternator and his only did about 40K in 3 years... on the other hand a mate of mine (same engine) hasn't had a single issue with his.

If I wasnt already being bent over for insurance on an old 2.2dti i'd have a 150 in a heartbeat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2006

Mileage : 130k

Hi Gubmint

I own a petrol 1.8 vvt 06 sri nav. All in all im happy with it as I drive mostly on A roads and motorways and I get around 38.2 mpg (my boy racer days are far behind me). The down sides are you are no sonner in and out of 1st and second when pulling away. In third its sort of okay but it only starts to slightly pull in 4th really. In top gear on a motoway its a nice ride, nothing dramatic. Smooth and relaxed, though if you ever need that extra power it wont be there. I have fell foul to this a few times.

I changed my tyres to 225/45/17 from 215/50/17 which gave it a more planted ride but you do feel the bumps more on standrad roads. Probably doesn't help being an sri also.

I have driven all sorts of engine sizes up to 6.6ltr yanks (and do miss the power) but overall it does what I need it to do. It's also a great "family day out" car for my lady and two young boys.

Its been pretty reliable too. That is subjective I know and maybe im just lucky so far. (57k on the clock)

Mind you the next Vec i would get would have to have a bigger engine (once the NCB grows)

Its a heavy car and the 1.8 does struggle at times on hills and overtaking.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers
    Last edited by Envy; 17th March 2011 at 00:11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information