User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cambelt change; Is waterpump included at dealer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Cambelt change; Is waterpump included at dealer?

Hi All,

Daft question, as u get what u pay for and I suspect my answer is NO but thoughts would be appreciated as I have just purchased another used Vectra with no receipt to show last cambelt change (Seller informed me 4000 miles ago but no receipt to back it up, I lost my previous beloved Veccy-B V6 to a cambelt a number of years ago and wont risk it again, so agreed on the equivelent discount from seller and am trying to book in before I drive many miles)

VX Dealer has quoted me £246 all in to change my cambelt, but being Evans Hallshaw this was a nice polite young lady at their central offices, whom couldnt confirm whether this included a waterpump replacement.

I suspect not as a local indy has quoted me £277 including the water pump (£181 without).

So, do you think the dealer would automatically assume waterpump replacement while fitting cambelt or not?

If not, do I really need it as I not got any untoward noises? Just want belt changing for peace of mind!

Z18XE btw and its a new engine to me. (Getting smaller as I get older!)

Your advice appreciated Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

in a word no..................vx wont replace it unless faulty, even if you ask them too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Always ask for any quote to be broken down to labour, including time and labour rate, and specific parts

For "expensive" jobs get quotes from at least three dealerships
    It can then be cheaper to buy the parts from one then take the car and parts to another for fitting
    However, remember when booking the car in to advise them that parts are supplied

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for replies.

So after this Im thinking initially Ill put in to dealers, £246, if it doesnt need the water pump, Ill not waste cash buying it, if it does I will have it fitted only if needed. However indy only wants £30 more all inc.

This raised another question tho, why indy want £100 more to change the water pump when the engine all ready stripped down in that area, thought the water pumps for my engine were ony about £40? And if the price of cambelt kit and fitting is only £180 then why £100 more to change the water pump while they are working on it already anyway? doesnt balance right in my mind? Theres coolant obv but still hmm?

Think I will ring for a couple more prices tomorrow but will have to make a decision and book it in somewhere tomorrow.

Not good having a new car and fear driving it LOL

Thx

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You might as well mate - the difference in price should only be the cost of the part really, plus the draining the refilling of the coolant. Without knowing the exact layout of the engine, it's usually just a few more bolts to release it on top of what you're remove to change the cambelt itself.

I don't know what exactly they're made of (old ones used to be plastic and could break fairly easily) but as they have a bearing in them they're a weak point in the cambelt system and so as prone to failure as the rest of the items that are replaced (tensioners etc.)

There may be nothing wrong with it, but while it's stripped down you might as well get it changed for that little more peace of mind if nothing else...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

changed the cam belt on my 1.8 at 57,000 miles the water pump was well on the way out, so I will change mine every cam belt,, try another indi, paid 45 quid for my water pump. total cost 230 quid for cam belt/aux belt/ tensioners/pully/pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Recommendation is to replace the water pump at every second cambelt change (maximum 80K miles)
    If the first cambelt change is left to original interval, then change it

I was lucky in that I paid for a cambelt change and the water pump failed two months later
    VX agreed to pay for a replacement cambelt, as I had just paid for it, and was reluctant to refit the relatively new one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Always ask for any quote to be broken down to labour, including time and labour rate, and specific parts
    I assume in doing this you obtain written quotations? As I always just get one over phone?

Ive always had more money than sense, but I not got much money so figure that one out??? But I do like to do things from my desk, lazy C***!

Im nota complete noob tho I used to change my own belts on the "old fashioned" engines, just setting to TDC (for insurance) and the old tippex! (When I could touch my toes!!!!)

Im convinced on the water pump tho, not going without it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoCally:( View Post
    I assume in doing this you obtain written quotations? As I always just get one over phone?
    Yes, ask for a quote (not an estimate)
    If you are happy with the quote, phone them back, ask them to keep the quote, book the car in, and you will collect the quote
    Once you have the quote they cannot go above that price (for that specific job)

Thread Information