Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Newbie.... Diesel help?

Hey everyone!

My names Tom and im from Hertfordshire

I am looking at getting a second hand diesel Vectra as I'm doing quite allot of motorway miles to work and back. Is there any useful threads to common problems with the Vectra? are they a reliable car or am I going to get some nasty surprises?

I cant believe how good value the second hand Vectras are!

The other query I have is I'm used to fast cars so I dont really want a slouch! I've decided its between the 1.9 150 BHP and the 3.0 180 BHP engine. I know the basic differences in looks etc but would like to compare performance against economy!

It appears theres only a small difference in performance but quite a big difference in MPG!? Does anyone have any experience with these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice welcomes guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdo & welcome

I run a 4 pot cdti 16v, they are no slouch... better on fuel than the v6 but you don't get the V6 grunt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO there isn't enough performance difference at all to warrant the extra consumption, but the V6's are more reliable, but... with a few select mods you can make the 150's a damn sight more reliable than they would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the comments... I was all set on getting a 1.9 SRI 150 but after reading a few posts on here im worried that if I get the 150 all im going to encounter is problems!!

What sort of mods can you do to make it more reliable?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C1TPT View Post
    Cheers for the comments... I was all set on getting a 1.9 SRI 150 but after reading a few posts on here im worried that if I get the 150 all im going to encounter is problems!!

What sort of mods can you do to make it more reliable?

Cheers
    All models are prone to Flywheel failures, or rather flywheel rattles, so its best just have a proper test and listen for the symptoms.

The main issue and irritations are down the inlet/exhaust system - inlet manifold, EGR, DPF (if fitted), with a couple of others being injector wiring and vacuum hoses. The latter can be replaced for less than £20 and a hour or so of your time, but will ensure these won't cause issues to the running of the car.

As for the inlet/EGR scenario, its best when looking to fully check the condition of the inlet manifold/swirl arrangement, any excess dirt build up and then its likely to go at some point (factor in about £500 when bargaining) and EGR valves can be blanked and mapped out for less than getting a new one fitted (about £105).

Also check the condition of all the coil springs, as these are prone to failure, sometimes they aren't noticed for months till MOT time.

If you know what to look for you can either a) walk away if you see one with a few issues, or get enough ££ knocked off to put it right (or a garage may do it all for you).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dan, thats great advice! I'm not too worried about most of the stuff you have mentioned its just the inlet manifold and flywheel that are getting me!

Is the dirt build up easy to spot? wouldn't most of the Vectras out there have had this fixed under warranty?

Do you know how much the flywheel is to replace?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and Welcome.

Situation is this when you ask about a car on a board, you will get honest answers and will hear about every negative going. The truth is that the 1.9 and 3.0 engines both have as many issues as almost every other manufacturer, Ford has serious injector issues etc VW has EGR issues and pump issues at times etc etc

The 3.0 is a glorious lump but in comparison to the 1.9 gives away at least 10mpg and up to 18>20mpg if driven well, it has a couple of issues re fuel pump and injectors as well but hey! so does everything currently.

The 1.9 is a mighty popular engine spread over Alfa Fiat Saab and Vx, and with a few well know mod's and tips from here is a very reliable very quick wee thing that can return 60mpg on a gentle motorway cruise.

Like ALL! modern diesels, it suffers from EGR issues as current Euro IV standards force restrictions on engines they are not ready to handle, Also like a great number of cars made they have an issue with the Dual Mass Flywheel, again this is not exclusive to Vauxhall and is seen on almost all big diesels made
    Then we have swirl flap issues, another common problem shared with VW, BMW Mercedes to name a few
    Lastly we have EGR issues as the corrosive carbon laiden exhaust corrodes the plunger stem causing it to jam and misread.

That is basically it. A manifold can be bought for £100>200 egr £60>95 and a DMF fitted £600 so if everything let go it would cost a grand or so to replace everything, but it won't happen, these cars a spectacular value for money, I come to them from BMW Mercedes and Chryslers and they are simply great cars in so many ways.

Look at the prices a 2009 car can be sat on your drive for £9K a car that was £20K new so you pays your money and takes your choice.

I looked at the lot out there but had such a soft spot for the Vectra and such a support network on Vectra-C it was a real no brainer choice for me!!!

Good luck with your search and decision and remember we all help each other here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C1TPT View Post
    Thanks Dan, thats great advice! I'm not too worried about most of the stuff you have mentioned its just the inlet manifold and flywheel that are getting me!

Is the dirt build up easy to spot? wouldn't most of the Vectras out there have had this fixed under warranty?

Do you know how much the flywheel is to replace?
    Yes, it is easy to spot, and no, most let go after warranty periods.

Flywheels/clutches can be replaced for about £600 these days for most garages.

Totally agree with Derek, there is no such thing as a truly reliable diesel in this day and age, but the Vec is a very good unit, so much I will be getting another

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point the 1.9 will need an inlet manifold at about £500+, how many miles will that buy you in the V6?

The V6's suffer far fewer problems, no engine is perfect though. Scv's are a fault on the V6 but go far less often than anything on the fiat 1.9!
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information