Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Specilized comuting bike

Thinking of starting to cycle to work well part of the way from south queensferry to livingston. I need to build my fitness up by doing it the odd day a week to start but if i end up doing it full weeks i am thinking of getting a new bike through the bike to work scheme. My boss has one and although you technically rent the bike from your work for a year then sometimes buy it for an agreed price at the end, my company just give you it so could get the stuff for half the price over all and not be paying tax on it.

The bike i was thinking off getting was this

Any cycling guys know if is any good for comuting or too much? I have a edinburgh bicycle mountain bike thats about 10 years old that i have added road tyres to which will let me get into it before commiting to a new bike but want something that will be better suited and quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Difficult one to answer Graeme. I have a Specialized Mountain bike and all I add are a set of Semi slicks for road work which does the job admirably, the only trouble is your top speed is restricted . What sort of condition is your mountain bike in? If its in good condition i'd be inclined to say that you would be better to go for a full on road bike, with a triple gear front set for those steeper hills, that way you have the best of both worlds in your garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a Spesh Sirrus,basic model and really rate it.Quite quick for a sit up and beg and a very smooth ride,you dont feel the bumps to much.I also have two road bikes,a Fuji and a Pinarello and they are much quicker and nicer to ride into a headwind!.But for commuting the Spesh is really good.My only question is do you need to spend that much?
    Whatever you decide enjoy and stay safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

SWMBO and I bought Specialized Crossroads bikes in around 2003 IIRC (this is a later version of the bike from the looks of it). I don't commute by bike - I do too many miles and have to carry too much but I find them well made and comfortable bikes. Ours are 3 x 6 gear so can handle most slopes - they are sturdy enough for cycle paths, roads, tracks without being out and out trail/mountain bikes.

If I worked in a set location within a few miles I'd certainly try them, although they are not cheap.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My current bikes in not too bad condition and has not had regular use for a good few years and with 24 gears should hopefully do the job but with bike to work it would enable me to get a new bike at a good price and i thought a lighter weight commuter bike would make the ride more enjoyable as it will be 90% on off road cycle paths.

I did consider a road bike as well but prefer a bike with flat bars. The boss my boss bought he is finding difficult as its 16 gears and hard work on really steep hills.

The cost of the bike i would not need anything that expensive and indeed the sirrus comes in lower spec at £349, £449 and £599 as well but my thinking was i would not buy a bike outright at £699 but if iwas paying about half that over the year and my work paying the rest and not pying tax on it then thought go for something decent.

I have started prep on my current bike today, pumping the tyres up to good psi, adjusting the brakes so will use that to start with. If i can prove to myself that i can do it reguarly then can at least justify a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol,I bought mine to keep fit and have been bitten by the bug completey.Finding myself looking to do more hill recently a real sign that i.m loosing it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryElite View Post
    Ours are 3 x 6 gear so can handle most slopes
    Oops just re-read this - they are 3 x 8 (24 speed) - sorry, stubby finger syndrome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I go to work on one of these, it's served me well for years. Plus no chance of getting confused by too many gears, just one for uphill, one for level ground and one for downhill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

love it Jezzy
    was alway jealous of those when i had to suffer with a Chopper.Should of been called Christine the number of times it tried to kill me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab

Trim : 9-3 Vert

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2000

Excellent commuting bike, you just need to decide if you want flat or drop bars. If you fancy drop bars get the Specialized tricross

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information