Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra 2.8T or Audi A4 2.0 FSI?

Crunch time in my life - my brain is telling me to sell my beloved 2.8T Elite as the Road, fuel and VAT taxes lining the nation's coffers are starting to wind me up.

Today I secured a second hand A4 2.0 FSI with enough options on to make it slightly better specced than the Veccy, for delivery next week. It's 0-60 is faster (7.1 over 7.6) it's more frugal (34 vs 25 mpg) lower green tax (£235 vs £440) so the numbers add up. The one niggle I had on the test drive was the noise of the engine - it sounded like a tractor but it is definitely a petrol. I can only assume that the V6 is a smoother engine than a 4 pot. The wife said it was quieter than her 1.4 Fiesta.

But on the drive home I started having doubts. I really do like the Vectra and the fact that there are not too many around (even the salesman commented that they were rare), and it has a lot of road presence, my heart is telling my brain to shut up!

As I'm driving the wife potty with my indecision can you help with your opinions please? Forgetting that we all love the Vectra anyway so we are biased, what would you do? Vectra or A4?

Cheers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Calculating the extra cost of the A4 over your vec, how long will changing take to pay back?
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

IMO only (I say only, its quite a bit!) the tax would make a difference in your pocket. are you really going to notice the mpg? & the 0-60 is nothing. I do Like the A4's but could not go back to a boot(!), I would be a little worried if the (petrol) engine sounded like a tractor! go back & have another test drive & take your time, let us know what happens!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

@Big Sig

I've tried to do the figures but I'm no mathematician. Over a year I'd save about £800-£1000 on petrol depending on mileage and another £200 on the road tax. Of course both of these figures are bound to increase, so the saving will be more in years to come. I'd say about three maybe four years.

@moorlander

See above re mpg - I think that will be quite noticeable - but I might be wrong! Yeah, the boot is a problem with boxes and so on, but it's rare that I take advantage of the hatch for bulky objects anyway.

On the go, the engine was fine, I think it might just have been cold. Maybe it revs higher then? I guess comparing a 4 pot to a 6 is like comparing a two cylinder to a four... i.e. more cylinders leads to a smoother lump. It's got full Audi service history and had a major service at end of January, so I'm pretty certain the engine's not knackered.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    @Big Sig

I've tried to do the figures but I'm no mathematician. Over a year I'd save about £800-£1000 on petrol depending on mileage and another £200 on the road tax. Of course both of these figures are bound to increase, so the saving will be more in years to come. I'd say about three maybe four years.
    So it will take that long to pay the difference back??? its never worth it then unless you plan to keep the Audi for at least that long plus more.

have you thought of an LPG conversion?
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Why not swap the petrol Vectra for a diesel Vectra. Quick look on auto trader and there are loads of Elite diesels for sale. Also Audi drivers don't have the best reputation

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the audi is about 30% cheaper on fuel, or to put it simpler will go 30% further on each £1, what is your annual mileage?
    For 12000 miles the audi will cost approx £1975 a year for fuel, The vectra will cost £2800, (based on todays fuel prices)
    Whats the difference in insurance?
    £200 saved on tax

approx £900 a year on fuel (based on 12k a year)
    £200 tax
    total £1100 saved +/- insurance difference!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Hatchback

Trim : Sri

Engine : 1.8vvt

Year : 2008

Well you did ask so first the regs come in to play with the depreciation being the biggest factor. On average a car change takes two grand out of my pockets - being bent over for the car I'm getting rid of and the inflated price the new one costs due to my poor negotiation skills. Now you did put down the A4 as 2.0 fsi but that did not have a 0-60 of the times you quote but the 2.0 TFSI does. Nice cars and once the thought of a change is embedded in the brain it's hard to resist but remember usually the cheapest car is the one on your drive.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    have you thought of an LPG conversion?
    Yes, I thought of that before creating this thread. Do you think that's a viable alternative? If so what do you think the reason is for LPG not taking off when it's about 75p a litre? (i.e. what's the gotcha? Is there one even?)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Also Audi drivers don't have the best reputation
    Oh dear - do you mean like certain other German car brands? I have the impression that Audi drivers are generally well behaved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright spark View Post
    being bent over for the car I'm getting rid of and the inflated price the new one costs due to my poor negotiation skills. Now you did put down the A4 as 2.0 fsi but that did not have a 0-60 of the times you quote but the 2.0 TFSI does.
    I think Joe Public always gets shafted buying and selling cars no matter how good or bad their negotiation skills are (IMHO). Sorry about the confusion regarding the (T)FSI - I'm pretty sure it is the TFSI version. It's the previous model (05-07) and according to Parkers, all 2 litres are TFSI for that range. Unless I've missed something obvious...

I should add that the 0-60 is not the most important thing to me (I've been looking various motors (Vectras, 3 series, Accords and Golfs, some with at 10+ sec diesels). Apart from the monetary savings, the toys are probably next most important and this A4 appears to have lots of optional extras fitted.
    Last edited by Raze; 13th March 2011 at 22:25. Reason: Putting 0-60 into context

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I drove the 2.0 fsi in the a4 and thought it was pants! It didn't sound quite like you stated tho? The diesel audis sound very good alot of people wouldn't know the difference from the inside! In the end I bought the 1.9 cdti 150 vectra which to me sounds like something that would be much better suited to yourself if your after speed and economy?with my tuning box on the car is everywith I could have wanted for my budget!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information