I've searched but can't find anyone that's had a problem quite like this...
2006 facelift 3.0 V6 CDTi auto.
- When changing from 4th to 5th the gear change can be “felt.”
- When under load (eg: going uphill) the problem becomes a lot worse – changing with what feels like a clunk, almost like the engine mountings have come loose! (they’re not – it was MOT tested last month).
- The problem is random. Some 4th/5th changes are smooth but most can be felt.
- The problem occurs under all driving conditions, ie: both gentle & hard driving.
- There is no loss of power or erratic engine revving when the problem occurs.
- When coming to a stop it can also be felt when it drops in to neutral. Previously this couldn’t be felt.
- All other gear changes are completely smooth.
- There are no fault or warning lights illuminated.
It's been to the dealer & had the transmission fluid changed. Made no difference. Am I right in thinking that the change from 4th to 5th is the torque converter's lockup point? Is it the torque converter (rather than the gearbox) that's likely to be the problem? If so, what sort of cost?
I've emailed Vx as something like this shouldn't happen to a (regularly serviced) 5 year old car that's done less than 60k.