User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just in my head or is something not right?...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Is it just in my head or is something not right?...

I have a 2006 (55) Signum 1.9 CDTi 150. There's always a danger that from reading all the threads and stickys on here I've over analysed things and may be imagining that I have a problem, but I'm convinced that something isn't right... and not having another 1.9 CDTi engine to compare it against makes it very difficult to know if mine is the same as others... so please can you have a look at the following and let me know what you think:

1) I'm getting an average of 38mpg combined urban/A-roads (though that's from the computer). Did a long run yesterday at a constant 50-60mph with the odd roundabout from Lincoln to Boston and back going quite steady being very light with the throttle and worked out mpg from the pump to be 42mpg. Now that seems low to me... how does it compare to yours?

2) Can be lumpy on tickover, particularly when cold, but sometimes also when warm. Also seems a bit rough and noisy, even for a diesel.

3) Poor power until after 2000rpm. Not sure if this is normal though and just turbo lag. After 2000 it goes like a train... although sometimes it feels like it picks up quicker than others.

4) Runs over for a second after turning off the ignition... but again this might be normal.

5) Temperature takes an age (20 mins/10 miles) to get up to 80 degrees, although then does eventually sit at 80 and stay there.

No warning lights. Would like to hear your thoughts. On one hand I'd like to be told this is all normal and won't cost me a penny. On the other I'd like to know I'm not imagining things and being a perfectionist and that something needs sorting to release true potential of the engine. Please discuss...

Forgot to add... it's not smokey.
    Last edited by mattyc; 9th March 2011 at 10:48. Reason: Addition to post

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Re. your MPG (42 MPG at 50-60 MPH) - I can get MPG like that from my 2.0 petrol turbo, so I'd suggest that your economy is too low.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Has it had a recent service with new air filter etc? I have just done a 350 mile round trip on motorways and A roads sticking to the limits and the fuel computer is showing 64.4 miles to the gallon for the average consumption at an average speed of 57 mph. I was trying to get a good return so there was no hard acceleration involved at any time. Allowing for any errors with the fuel computer I must have been getting into the middle to high fifties with the mpg. The car like yours is the 1.9 cdti 150 version.

Edit: Just to add my car is a hatchback with the manual gearbox and no dpf. If you have the auto version, then that can wreak havoc with the fuel consumption.
    Last edited by Rapala; 9th March 2011 at 11:59.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming it still has the DPF unless the previous owner had it removed. It was serviced less than 1000 miles ago by the VX dealer I bought it from. And it's a manual. It's looking like there's something definately not right!... I'll book it in with them to have it checked out. They should be repairing anything under the 12 month warranty that came with it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Elite Nav

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2012

Mileage : 9k

your average mpg combined is about the same as mine i'm getting 39mpg according to the computer
    but your longer run should have yielded a better result as i got 58mpg as an average run to blackpool and back .....400 miles with 360 being steady 70mph on the motorway and the other 40 town driving whilst there

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm doing a longish trip to Leicester and back this Friday so I'll check it out again to compare my previous calculation and double check I'm getting low 40's on a long steady run. Sounds like I should be getting more.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Having done some more searching me thinks that it could be the EGR valve with these symptoms. Anyone agree? Car Care Plan warranty says EGR valve covered, but I'm not sure if it has to actually fail to qualify for replacement as at the moment the symptoms appear fairly minor... with the cost of diesel it's not cheap with MPG down!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI NAV XP

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 72K

The longer the run at a steady speed the better the fuel economy, and at the very least, the first 5 to 10 miles of your journey should be disregarded in any calculation to give the car time to warm up and 'settle in'.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Whats it like to start,does it struggle to start, then once started it runs very lumpy,

I had a customers vehicle in which was a diesel, not a vectra though and it turned out to be a dodgy injector, a leaking injector would cause it to run lump and to run for a split second after turn off as its leaking diesel and the heat and compression would cause it to run a bit more, if you have a injector leak off kit that may tell you if its a faulty injector.

It would also explain high fuel consumption as its pumping more diesel then needed

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by mattyc View Post

1) I'm getting an average of 38mpg combined urban/A-roads (though that's from the computer). Did a long run yesterday at a constant 50-60mph with the odd roundabout from Lincoln to Boston and back going quite steady being very light with the throttle and worked out mpg from the pump to be 42mpg. Now that seems low to me... how does it compare to yours?
    Yes that is low.

2) Can be lumpy on tickover, particularly when cold, but sometimes also when warm. Also seems a bit rough and noisy, even for a diesel.

3) Poor power until after 2000rpm. Not sure if this is normal though and just turbo lag. After 2000 it goes like a train... although sometimes it feels like it picks up quicker than others.

4) Runs over for a second after turning off the ignition... but again this might be normal.

5) Temperature takes an age (20 mins/10 miles) to get up to 80 degrees, although then does eventually sit at 80 and stay there.
    Sounds like the EGR valve and thermostat has jammed open. It will cause a lumpy idle, especially when the engine is cold. A jammed open thermostat causes engine to use more fuel. The other point to get looked at right away is the 'running over' when ignition is switched off. I would say this is a seperate issue and is usually due to the engine running on oil vapour which is drawn in to the manifold. This has two sources - the oil breather in the intake and the turbocharger. This is the typical result of one of two things:

- Overfill of oil
    - Turbocharger bearings are worn and allowing excess oil into the inlet manfiold

Either way get the over run issue looked at m8.

Gazza4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information