User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater Blower Motor has packed in (sorry to repeat another one of these posts)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

rolleyes Heater Blower Motor has packed in (sorry to repeat another one of these posts)

Hi

I am sure there are so many of these problems posted on here, but although mine is common, there is a specific problem I need to speak about and if you can help, great!

Firstly, I ahd all the common problems, blocked scuttle tray, blocked pollen filter, water getting into footwell bla bla bla.....

At first speeds 1, 2 & 3 would not work and just number 4 worked. Now none of the above work at all and it is FREEEEEEZING! I have priced resistor's up and I have priced blower motors up, but I just want to make sure I go ahead and buy the right part. I wouldn't like to buy a blower motor only to find I need just a resistor, do you know what I mean? But I was told that the blower should still work on number 4 if the resistor has packed in, is this correct? If so, then surely this means that I need a new blower motor as number 4 does not work.

The motor spins freely when I manually spin it myself. This problem is just dragging on and on and I really want to get it sorted, but I hear so many conflicting stories that I just do not know which route to take. Just to repeat, 1,2 and 3 packed and 4 USED to work, but now ALL 1, 2, 3 & 4 do not work. Hope you can help

Regards, Nik

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

replace blower relay, then replace resistor, do the cheap things first read thread to do resistor 82p think relay is about a fiver have you cleared the scuttle tray drain?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : sri

Engine : 1800 vvt

Year : 2007

check the fuse mate also connection on to fan motor

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Where is the blower relay? Yes, the scuttle tray has been cleared now. It was blocked and that is what has lead to this problem, I think. Have you got a link to the mentioned thread?

All fuses have been checked (at least I think they all have, could you refresh me on which need checking?)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you remove the glove box (three torx screws at the top, two at the bottom, don't forget to unplug the light), then you'll see the blower motor straight in front of you.

To the left (behind the fuse box on the end of the dash) you'll see a couple of relays - the blue and brown ones are associated with the blower motor. If these don't work, you won't have any fan speeds. You can easily check then with a multimeter and 9V battery out of the car (a 9V PP3 should be enough for the coil to operate, but unlike a car battery won't destroy the relay if you connect it across the wrong terminals).

Given speeds 1,2 and 3 stopped working first, you've probably got a blown thermal fuse on the resistor pack too. This is located to the right of the blower motor, right up against the centre console. 82p will get you a new 240C thermal fuse from Maplin.

There are several really good threads on both the relays and the resistor pack on here. If you search for 'thermal AND fuse' and look for the one with about 5 pages, you'll get loads of information including photos.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok thanks for all the information! So, best best is trying to replace the relays and resistor first. Are you saying the relays are not in with the fuses, they are physically beind them/where the glove box is? I have already got the resistor out, the connection is all rusted so I'm pretty much sure that the resistor is knackered! What do you mean by '82p will get you a new 240C thermal fuse from Maplin' ? Really appreciate the help.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, you'll need to remove the glove box to get to the relays - they're on the back of the fuse board. Once you get the box out, you'll see it all nice and clearly.

The resistor pack itself actually rarely fails. On the end of it though is a thermal fuse (ie a fuse that breaks at a set temperature) to protect the resistors from getting too hot. You can snip the old one off and replace it with a new one - Maplin sell them for 82p. Much better than £25 for a new resistor pack!

However, if it's rusty then you might want to replace it - but it's worth trying the fuse first.

If you remove the pollen filter you can see the fan. Can you spin it by hand? If not, then the motor itself may have seized.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by thiscarofmine View Post
    Ok thanks for all the information! So, best best is trying to replace the relays and resistor first. Are you saying the relays are not in with the fuses, they are physically beind them/where the glove box is? I have already got the resistor out, the connection is all rusted so I'm pretty much sure that the resistor is knackered! What do you mean by '82p will get you a new 240C thermal fuse from Maplin' ? Really appreciate the help.
    yep to both questions

the resistor is a RS23A thermal fuse just go on line and order or if you have a local maplin go to store

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, the motor spins freely. As if it was brand new if I am honest. I am going to try the relay and thermal fuse route and see where that gets me. At least then if that doesn't work, the next step to try is a new resistor and then final scenario if all else fails is a new blower motor. It's all fune and games owning a car!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah - I've only had my Vectra since Saturday and already I've had to fix the blower motor thermal fuse, get the windscreen replaced and this weekend I'll be changing the thermostat. Sometimes I wonder exactly what second hand car dealers do other than wash them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information