User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FAO Anyone swapping factory radios...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default FAO Anyone swapping factory radios...

This is for anyone who is planning on or has swapped their radio AND the display to get around the coding issue. I have just had a radio programmed and was told what happens if you do it this way.

If you swap the radio and the display together the radio will work. However if you ever have a fault and need another part coding it will come up as unmatching security codes in the car (the radio, dash, engine ecu, all of them etc all need to match). Whilst a good tech 2 guy can get around it by returning all ecus to the factory setting and starting from scratch, it is not what you want to be doing. It will take A LOT longer and will occur you substantial extra cost because of the time involved. Many garages will not be able to program your car.

I am not suggesting you do not swap your radio this way, it is an easy way of swapping your radio to a better or different one. What I am sugestting is that if you do, keep your old radio and display to swap back if you want some coding work done.

I am interested in what the tech 2 experts on here think of this and if they can back it up. However, I had an uncoded radio which needed programing anyway so the guy had no reason to lie to me about what happens if I had just got the matching display. We were just talking.

Also if you do not have the original radio I am not sure what happens if you just remove the radio and display when you code the car, i believe that might work too. I just think it might be advisable to keep your old unit instead of selling it one, just in case. It may be cheaper in the long run!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

brain bag here binned his cd40 opera thinking they were worthless

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

Year : 2007

If you buy another VX radio, CDC40, CD70 etc with the screen you can get the old chassis number off of the display's memory, take some ID to the stealers and they will get you the security code. It costs about £30 but it means you don't get higher then necessary bills. With the old code you can then change the code to match your car's security code.
    There would be no need to reset all the ECU's back to factory defaults, Tech2 can just re-write the head unit and display (I think, I use OpCom and changed the code on my CDC40 as I listed above).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That matches up with what I was told. Its fine normally but the problem comes if something goes wrong. We were saying if the dials went or you needed new keys becuase it was stolen or something, he said you need them ALL to match in that case. Some things can be got around but my understanding was that big things and anything related to security they all needed to match???

The example I was given was a car that needed a new CIM and dial set. One went and it blew the other. When replacing both there was not enough matching codes left to program them. There was no code from the new radio available (the scrap car was long gone) and everything had to be reset to fix it. Apparently it took them 2 days to get everything perfect. Just loads of gremlins because of miss matching codes, and software. It would not like that bill!

To be honest the purpose of me starting this thread was just to recomend people just keep there old ones just in case. For what they go for its worth hanging on to them. Then there are no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Oh and just to say this was a guy who is vauxhall main dealer. I won't say who because it was an out of hours favour. However if vx have any reason to have to spend more time on it you know the bills will rocket!!

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Afaik there is a chance on full canbus cars that having a different code on your head unit could in extreme cases cause a conflict on the can, this could make other modules either loose their code or in extreme cases take the code of the HU.

So when you go to code this unit it won't except your own security code, now I say extreme because I was told this ages ago and to date I've not heard of anyone having such a problem.

The above doesn't go for half can because there system doesn't rely on can as much plus my HU and screen were coded with a different code for well over a year with no problems.
    Last edited by bigmac; 1st March 2011 at 09:55.

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Afaik there is a chance on full canbus cars that having a different code on your head unit could in extreme cases cause a conflict on the can, this could make other modules either loose their code or in extreme cases take the code of the HU.

So when you go to code this unit it won't except your own security code, niw I say extreme because I was told this ages ago and to date I've not heard of anyone having such a problem.

The above doesn't go for half can because there system doesn't rely on can as much plus my HU and screen were coded with a different code for well over a year with no problems.

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To be honest I think this canbus is scary. Noone can actually tell me whether it is ok or not. Everyone seems to say in this case or in that case etc.... Where can you find a real expert who knows? lol

Thread Information