Wanted to change the thermostat over the weekend (1.9cdti), did my research, consulted the haynes book of b****ks and had a good looky on here.
All seems to be relatively straightforward......
Tried saturday, got rained off and had to go out so thought I'd leave it sunday. Didn't really want to jack the car up so disconnected the various pipes and bled the coolant into a bottle from the bottom of the expansion tank. All ok so far. However, what I couldn't work out was why the ERG Heat Exchanger would not come off. It has a flange which is connected the the stud which goes through the bottom 'bolt' hole in the thermostat towards the front of the engine but could not get enough movement on it to get it off the stud. Couldn't twist it or pull it clear, somthing was obviously holding it towards the bulkhead side. Grrrr.
It was at this point I decided to remove both clips at either end of the erg exchanger thing to try and help move it. Nope, nothing still wouldn't budge, then I heard a tink, tink, donk. One of these clips dropped onto the under tray, oh ffs.
Went to jack the car up, wasn't sure exactly where so thought I'd use the wheel jack, on a sloping drive (I know, don't go there) Got the axle stand underneath and you guessed it, car came off the jack.....
Fortunately, the stand went into the wheel arch and didn't as far as I can tell, cause any damage. Got the proper trolley jack out and up she went, under tray off, clip recovered along with the wafer thin gasket.
Fully drained the coolant, removed battery, battery casing and still could not get this damn thing off. Then it decided to rain, battery soaked, engine bay soaked, Meady soaked. Then the father-in-law dropped a bolt between the fuse box and the inner wing and starts poking about for it with a screwdriver. At this point I am loosing big time.
Eventually got the car back together after much knuckle chaffage and without the new thermostat! While I as at it, for good measure, I then managed to snapped one the the rear engine cover clips and didn't get the under tray back on.
Severely hacked off with what by all intents and purposes should have been an easy job turned into a nightmare, it's only a 2 hr book time job!
Dealer is going to have it at some point this week, let them deal with it!
On the plus side, I did find out that I have the loom for the level sensor in the washer bottle so will get that done at some point.