Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra 2.0dti '52'

hi all,

well ive just entered the world of owning a vectra c and my first ever diesel car. i have bought a diesel truely because its cheaper to run then the petrol cars ive had. The 2.0 dti seems to be quite good on fuel but i aint sure im getting 38mpg average and im driving normally what ar you getting? also can i remap this engine because its lacking that little bit more power it drasticly needs! if you can is it simply plug and play?? what figures are you getting and what about mpg??

sorry if this is in the wrong section im new so please forgive me lol.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9CDTi

Year : 2005

Mileage : Lots

Right section

The DTi can be remapped but not very easily. There are a couple of tuning boxes available for it. Steinbauer make one and I think TDI Tuning do too but they're not cheap. John.Robertson2 has one fitted to his 2.2 as well as a panel filter. Think his makes about 155hp but don't quote me on that one. Will end up with a couple of MPG less but nothing drastic with a box. 38 average would be a little low. My 2.2 is getting about 42 on the trip computer over the last few hundred miles. Stick some Vpower diesel in, run it quite low then throw in a shot of Redex fuel system cleaner, get it hot, good 'Italian style' tune up (or drive it like you stole it) and go from there. Just make sure the oil is good first. If it's not been done in a while get it changed.

And get it de-catted! Made a fair difference to mine. Only other thing I can think of adding now is the air box mod (open the lid, take the filter out, you'll see a tube at the bottom for the air coming in - can pull the top off it so it can use the whole filter) and a good panel filter (K&N, Pipercross etc) so you can keep the standard airbox. Because of lubrication issues with the diesel pumps on these (and the seriously scary prices to fit new ones) people either stick 350ml of 2 stroke oil in with every full tank of diesel or put in a shot of Millers Diesel Power Ecomax. Every 10k miles I use 10k Boost on mine to give the inlet manifold etc a good clean. This is something I'd be happy to help you do but on a used engine it can cause problems by dislodging carbon that is actually helping (says me doing it on a 200,000 mile engine). More than happy to help as long as you know the risks.

What part of North Wales are you in? Always happy to help out people that are stuck. Live on the Wirral.

Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: Forgot to say a new fuel filter can make a real improvement and it's not hard to do either. Mine was covered in some weird black sticky stuff. Changed it and the car felt a lot better.
    Last edited by cont1204; 22nd February 2011 at 17:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

First thing to do is get the car serviced if it hasn't been done, a new air filter will make a huge difference if it's not been changed for a while.

Also this is probably not a goot time of year to be guaging what economy your getting as it's still winter diesel thats in the pumps just now and you don't get the same economy as you do with summer diesel.

When you say your getting 38mpg how are you working it out, are you filling the tank taking it for a run and then topping up to see how much you've used or are you looking at the trip computer.

If your looking at the trip computer Aon't trust what it says and B: reset it as it will only show total avg. fuel consumption from the last time it was reset.

What sort of journeys are you using the car for? Short slow speed journeys will knacker your fuel economy. Guage what it's doing MPG wise on a long steady run.

As mentioned the DTi likes to have decent lubrication in the fuel pump. You don't really have to add any additional lubricant to be honest but using decent premium fuel i.e Shell and BP fuel will maximise the protection of the engine. I use Millers Eco max but that is mainly for keeping everything clean.

As for a remap, you can indeed re-map the DTi but there are only certain tuners that will do so and it isn't cheap. The other problem with remapping the DTi is that the ECU is built onto the pump meaning that if the pump blows then your remap is pretty much useless and you'd have to get any new pump re-mapped too

This is why also as mentioned I use a Steinbauer tuning box. It doesn't increase fuel pressure but mearly regulates it so you are getting the optimum performance possible. They aren't cheap but imo worth every penny and give a fair power increase. I am currently running 155BHP and 280lbft of torque.

I've probably missed something but I hope that helps you a bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for your info lads. what ive done so far is oil change (fully synthetic) oil filter, fuel filter (was nackered and black) ive put a k&n pannel filter in all of this made a difference in little bits but its only averaging 38mpg this is on trip computer which i am douting tbh because the car did about 500 miles to a tank which i think works out more then 38 mpg. i will try the redex an see if that makes a difference as well. i am also going to be replacing the injector seals and leak off pipes as its a right pain to start in the mornings and i have been told its this! i will de coke the inlet manifold and egr vaule then (have been told it makes a difference). is there anything else i can look at to get the mpg up to its normal?? soory to be a pain im new to diesels lol

Thanks for all your help

Craig

Thread Information