Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Work attitude.....

Alex got me thinking from something he said on his "M62 car park" thread.

something along the lines that it's more worrying to be late into work rather than be late home from work. now i don't have kids yet but that would just amplify my feelings on this issue.

i work for a large corporation and although i do my fair share of work i will NOT bust my balls for the company without getting paid for it!

here's an example, i'm sure there is someone like this in every company....the guy who will work into the late hours on a regular basis without getting paid any OT....just for the good of the company!

i say b0llocks to that! at the end of the day i'm just a figure on a massive spreadsheet and if the company ever needed to make cuts, they wouldn't think twice about who to get rid of. so i don't see why i should work my socks off in order for the company to reap the rewards!

maybe its because i'm of the mindset that you'll never get rich working for someone else...and i know money isn't everything, but its alot! i've been thinking about starting my own business but i just can't put my finger on which industry to proceed in.

if i owned and ran my own company i would work my fingers to the bone to make it a success....but i just don't have the same enthusiasm when working for a big company, where politics are a daily burden and appreciation of employees is non existant.

what are your thoughts on this matter!?

hopefully this should spark some lively debate

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry matey, but I'm one of those employees who work until the job is done. It works both ways for me; if I have something personal to do or go somewhere in work time then the company is flexible. I'm not strictly on flexi time, but I am allowed and trusted to manage my own hours.

If a critical server is down, we simply keep working until fixed. Before now I've had to wait until 8pm for parts to be couriered to site. Path of the course.

Other times I've had a few days off for personal reasons on full pay. I think of it as, if I scratch their backs then they'll scratch mine.

I also manage two personal ventures. I joint own a web design company and I also run my own Home PC support company, so I know where you're coming from.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As AJA has said, if you want flexibilty then it works both ways. My firm are the same - leave early so long as you put in the hours when needed, so long as your not taking the pee. I really enjoy my job, plus when others are waiting on your output why should I let them down for sake an extra 5hrs spread over the week? I find its not about the "big company", but the "little company" in the team around you - so long as you can manage it between youselves its cool.

Working for yourself can be rewarding, but my dad has been self employed for the past 30 years and in that time I've seen what can happen when the work goes dry. for me its only something you can do for say ten years - then sell the firm for a profit - after that you may as well be working for someone else.

W

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

likewise Ian - my dad has worked for himself since he began working and he's not had a holiday since 1992!!! unbelievable!!

i do understand the whole concept of 'i scratch yours, you scratch mine', maybe it's the company i'm working for or the job that i'm in, but there is no team spirit around here, no interaction outside these four walls.

but regardless, i will do as much as i can for a fellow colleague, the 'little company' that you are talking about, but not for the company, i know that may sound strange, maybe the way i've worded it.

my clients are external to the company and the demands they lay down are just outright ridiculous, so i'll work for as long as i'm contracted to and then i'll go home and spend the night with the missus.....and the forum!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As with Ian & Alex, the company I work for are flexible if needed as they know I put the work in. Even getting paid for days off, plus being with them for 20 years since I left school helps.

Vectra-C Obsessed Poster Drinky's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Got to agree with Alex on this, i work for a company that has over 6ooo employees and i know alot of them just do the bare minimum of work, now i am not of that mindset, to me if a job needs doing it has got to be done so you may as well do it ,
    and so far touch wood it has served me well as over the past three years i have gone from the lowest ranks of the industry to a middle managment position in a very short space of time, and they are also very good when time off is needed as proved last year when my dad was ill with cancer as i had two months off work so i could be with the family and on full pay as well

So my personal feelings are you do get out of it what you put in and you will be recognised for going that little bit further !!!

Back in a V6 !!!!!!!!!!!! And lovin it !!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

I've always had the attitude that i work until the jobs are complete to keep customers happy even though i am an employee. (been self employed in the past)
    The company i work for at the moment pay 37.5 hours/week but i always work at least 50! We don't get paid overtime and i have constantly had a moan about it. Just before i went on the sick (as i am off for 4 weeks) i had worked 12 days without a break (weekend on call) and done approx 125 hours in that time. They wonder why i am not happy. They say "it's the same for everyone" and yes, this is true. WHY SHOULD IT BE!
    I miss appointments, am late for events, waste food etc, simply because i don't like leaving jobs open. I now think the company just expect it to be the way we work instead of looking at it and rewarding us accordingly.

I need to get a few things sorted with them i think before i go back as it is starting to affect the way i think about the effort i put in but it is not in my nature to be an "idle sod"
    Some employers just do NOT value their workers or recognise the efforts they do put in.

Phew......feel better now.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are you glad you got that off your chest Tony??
    Can you get down ok off the soapbox?

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

He may need a ladder that's a bleeding big soapbox.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'll go with Alex and Ian here. But onlyso long as the boss plays fair. If they take liberties then my generosity dwindles. These days those that do that little extra keep their jobs and I hate leaving things half done!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information