User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Gaskets

  1. #1
    Regular Member Chuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : 3.2 gsi

    Trim : gsi

    Engine : 3200

    Year : 2003

    Default Gaskets

    I started a thread not long ago asking about my head gasket.

    It would seem it is on its way out :/. It is smoking, got thick mayo on oil cap (not in the oil though) and it has started to lose a bit of coolant.

    My question is how much would i expect to be charged for head gasket replacement? Also ive been told my rocker gasket is probably gone due to blocked breather (got oil leak to side of engine). How much would the total job cost and is there anything else that should be replaced whilst the garage is at it? anymore gaskets etc?

    Cheers
    Last edited by Chuddy; 19th February 2011 at 18:53.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Your price may have to include the head to be skimmed & may be worth doing the valve stem seals while the head is off as these can perish due to age.

    Not sure of price as i do my own work, and you would be better to ring around your local garages as prices vary in the uk.

    But before all that you need to get the hydrocarbons sniff check done and see if the head gasket is indeed gone, The mayo can be due to condensation in the oil from not getting hot enough by not doing good long runs only short journeys & the coolant leak may be a split pipe or radiator.

    So in short it may be much cheaper than the h/g but you need to find out what your problem is.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Chuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : 3.2 gsi

    Trim : gsi

    Engine : 3200

    Year : 2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtee View Post
    Your price may have to include the head to be skimmed & may be worth doing the valve stem seals while the head is off as these can perish due to age.

    Not sure of price as i do my own work, and you would be better to ring around your local garages as prices vary in the uk.

    But before all that you need to get the hydrocarbons sniff check done and see if the head gasket is indeed gone, The mayo can be due to condensation in the oil from not getting hot enough by not doing good long runs only short journeys & the coolant leak may be a split pipe or radiator.

    So in short it may be much cheaper than the h/g but you need to find out what your problem is.
    Taking it to my local garage monday hopefully. Sure hope its not as sinister as it all seems. Its smoking alot from exhaust though also :/. Suppose will soon see. Only ask as was thinking of getting shot of her and getting a rx8 if its gonna be too pricey!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuddy View Post
    Taking it to my local garage monday hopefully. Sure hope its not as sinister as it all seems. Its smoking alot from exhaust though also :/. Suppose will soon see. Only ask as was thinking of getting shot of her and getting a rx8 if its gonna be too pricey!
    Smoke may indicate head gasket failure as water turns to steam when hot in the system and oil burning together gives off lots of smoke.

    However the rx8 is no Angel it has it's problems and you don't say what car this is petrol or diesel vectra? What engine and year & mileage?

    Don't despair everything can be fixed.

  5. #5
    North West Regional Organiser paulvectrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    morecambe
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : vectra

    Trim : vxr

    Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

    Year : 2007

    Default

    er have you took the long filler kneck off mate common on the 3.2 soon as you take it off no more mayo
    Vectra vxr custome remaps egr deletes dpf and diagnostic work all remaps are custome bench tuning avalible all genuine equipment PM for info

  6. #6
    Regular Member Chuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : 3.2 gsi

    Trim : gsi

    Engine : 3200

    Year : 2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtee View Post
    Smoke may indicate head gasket failure as water turns to steam when hot in the system and oil burning together gives off lots of smoke.

    However the rx8 is no Angel it has it's problems and you don't say what car this is petrol or diesel vectra? What engine and year & mileage?

    Don't despair everything can be fixed.
    Ah sorry, its a 3.2 gsi mate as indicated in my avatar. Its done 115k miles so fairly high but wouldn't say its too high for a so called bombproof v6. 2003 model

    Ye i've heard things bout the rx8 but i suppose all cars have their problems. If it turns out there are big problems then just gives me an excuse to tell the missus lol. Really hoping its not though as i love my car and have done so much to it. Just gotta weigh up which is gonna cost more, to repair or to swap.

  7. #7
    Ex-Staff Full Member John LE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

    Trim : LE/VXR

    Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

    Year : 13/07

    Default

    Have you had a compression test done? What colour is the smoke?

    Also as said the filler neck on the GSi can hold a mayo like subtance due to condensation building up on it and mixing with oil/ Take the filler neck off and screw the oil cap straight onto the rocker cover.

    Also iirc your car is an auto, has the gearbox oil been checked as the coolers have been known to fail on the autos

  8. #8
    Regular Member Chuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : 3.2 gsi

    Trim : gsi

    Engine : 3200

    Year : 2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.robertson2 View Post
    Have you had a compression test done? What colour is the smoke?

    Also as said the filler neck on the GSi can hold a mayo like subtance due to condensation building up on it and mixing with oil/ Take the filler neck off and screw the oil cap straight onto the rocker cover.

    Also iirc your car is an auto, has the gearbox oil been checked as the coolers have been known to fail on the autos
    Im gonna get it checked monday. The smoke is white mate, but pretty sure its not steam as its excessive and seems to linger a little for steam. Just all seems a coincedence for it all to start happening at once :/. Been told if it is headgasket then it could be in excess of £1k :O to be done and skimmed

    Had my auto tranmission fluid changed last year

  9. #9
    North West Regional Organiser paulvectrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    morecambe
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : vectra

    Trim : vxr

    Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

    Year : 2007

    Default

    have you got a performance exhaust mate i noticed mine is quite steamy since i had it fitted have you removed the oil filler kneck
    Vectra vxr custome remaps egr deletes dpf and diagnostic work all remaps are custome bench tuning avalible all genuine equipment PM for info

  10. #10
    Regular Member Chuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : 3.2 gsi

    Trim : gsi

    Engine : 3200

    Year : 2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulvectrac View Post
    have you got a performance exhaust mate i noticed mine is quite steamy since i had it fitted have you removed the oil filler kneck
    No mate, standard.

    No i haven't removed it yet but is on my list of things to do!

    Its mainly the coolant loss im worried about as i know the smoke and mayo is fairly common practice on these engines with short journeys.

    But as i said, no loss of power (atall) and no temp problems as of yet so fingers crossed.

    Just rang a garage for a rx8... guy gave me a trade in of £1130.... lol ye right :/. Got full leather, parking sensors, sunroof, satnav etc etc and thats all he can offer me. Hes having a laugh, the interior alone is worth half of that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. GSi Catalytic Converter gaskets?
    By tjames in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19th August 2012, 18:21
  2. Head Gaskets Small Job !!!!
    By Mawbs in forum Y & Z30DT Specific
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th August 2012, 01:20
  3. camcover gaskets
    By fiend61 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th November 2011, 23:34
  4. EGR valve gaskets
    By melvin in forum Vectra C / Signum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th October 2010, 19:24
  5. Egr gaskets. Urgent help required
    By 67688c in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 6th March 2009, 19:59

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •