I have a new job to go to and wanted to start 1st of next month, only found out I got the job on the 12th, so I sent a letter of notice but for just 2 weeks on the 14th. My notice peroid is 1 month and the reason I gave just 2 weeks is I get paid the 15th of a month, 2 weeks in arrears 2 in advance, and thus hoped would save any pay complications as the new job pays 20th of the month and said if I start the 1st then I'd get a full months salary.

Now my current employer has said no , you must work your months notice. I have googled this and I would be in breach of contract if I left on my 2 weeks notice and they could sue for not fufilling my contract but would this be likely to happen? I am never likely to return to them and they recently had redundances, which I didnt apply for as I cant afford to be out of work. If I work my notice and start my new job I would not get paid in the new one till April.

I did put in my letter this is due to changes in my personal circumstances (basically split with my partner, have to do a 70 mile round trip to work, have 3 kids and cant see them every weekend as I do 4 on 4 off) though I didnt list the reasons in it.