User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear electrical centre replacement?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Rear electrical centre replacement?

I've been having problems with my rear lights after a previous owner bodged into the wiring for a towbar or trailer board.

Auto electricians have had the car today and now identified all the snipped wiring and put it back how it should be, although with that done the lights are still not working as they should.

The brake light switch is showing a fault so I have got a replacement ready for them to fit, however, they think that the rear fusebox (REC module) may have been damaged and suggested I replace that too if I can pick one up cheaply.

I have two questions about this, as there are a couple on ebay at the mo...

1. IDENT code? my rec has a BJ code on it so does that mean that I need a BJ code on the replacement too? What does the IDENT code do exactly?

2. I have heard people talking about tech 2 clearing of parts? Can I use any replacement REC from a breakers on my car? Is it just the engine ECU that has to be tech 2 cleared or does this part need to be done also? I've asked about the available ones on ebay and none say that they have been cleared, so dare I just assume that they don't need it?

Hope someone can enlighten me urgently before I shell out on parts that may not work!

Cheers, Jon

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Same problem

Hi, I have been having the same problem with my brake lights because the previous owner had done a bodge job with wiring trying to fit rear parking sensors.

Now my rear side brake lights do not work at all (centre does) and the auto electrician has said it is the rear electric centre that unfortunately costs £486 to replace (fitted).

I asked exactly the same, can i use one from a scrapped car from breakers? The answer was No because the REC is programmed to that car through a tech 2 session, with all of that cars specifics, i.e, was it a hatchback? did it have a rear wiper, where is the fog light etc.

Even if it could be removed from a scrapped car through tech2, legally you couldn't do that as you would have to have a V5 apparantley.

If anyone knows any different i would be eager to find out as i do not really want to have to spend near £500 just to get two brake lights working properly. cheers

Admin & Merchandise Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

As far as I know there not coded using security code but with chassis number and I was told that you could use one from a same car as yours without coding as I was going to change my fusebox with another one.
    The bloke from Vauxhall told me all he would need to do is replace chassis number

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    As far as I know there not coded using security code but with chassis number and I was told that you could use one from a same car as yours without coding as I was going to change my fusebox with another one.
    The bloke from Vauxhall told me all he would need to do is replace chassis number
    I've picked one up off ebay with the same Ident code as mine (BJ) from a scrapped signum, cost £30 plus a fiver for 24hr courier. I asked a friend of a friend to check re coding (they work at a vauxhall dealership) and apparently they are coded to the car via the vin. They did say tho, that the rec module should work fine although any options that had been coded in to it previously may not correspond with my vehicle, but as long as I had the vin from the donor car any problems could be solved with recoding.

Will get it fitted in next tuesday so will update this post with the results!

Jon

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

Year : 2007

The REC can be changed for one from a scrap yard, you probably would need the cars security code/hardware key and possibly the VIN number.
    You would need the security code when it comes to programming the variance changes, i.e. car body type, rear wiper etc, I needed that when I activated my auto dimming mirror.
    Hope that helps.

Thread Information