Thread: Strange heater problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Strange heater problem

Hi there all, this is my first post, so apologies if i'm repeating someone, I have looked around without luck.

I've got an issue with the hot air blower in the car but it's not the same as what I've seen on here. Basically the car is taking an age to heat up (it used to heat up quickly) but it will only heat up when the dial is pointed at the windscreen (i.e. it's not blowing hot air through footwells or the vents - it IS however blowing cold air through these places.)

I've taken the glovebox out and had a look at the servo controlling the mix (as per other threads on here), and it is moving ok. In fact I can feel a difference in the temperature between hot and cold, it just isn't reaching hot on the vents (but it is on the windscreen).

I'm baffled but then I'm no car expert at all - does anyone have any ideas what I should look for next?

Very grateful for any input! Thanks, Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by kboyd View Post
    Hi there all, this is my first post, so apologies if i'm repeating someone, I have looked around without luck.

I've got an issue with the hot air blower in the car but it's not the same as what I've seen on here. Basically the car is taking an age to heat up (it used to heat up quickly) but it will only heat up when the dial is pointed at the windscreen (i.e. it's not blowing hot air through footwells or the vents - it IS however blowing cold air through these places.)

I've taken the glovebox out and had a look at the servo controlling the mix (as per other threads on here), and it is moving ok. In fact I can feel a difference in the temperature between hot and cold, it just isn't reaching hot on the vents (but it is on the windscreen).

I'm baffled but then I'm no car expert at all - does anyone have any ideas what I should look for next?

Very grateful for any input! Thanks, Ken
    Hope someone answers this soon as it sounds very similar to my heater problem.

I have also noticed that the engine temp used to be pretty steady on 80, now it sits at 85 when driving and quickly goes to 90 when stopped.

There is a difference between heater set on cold and set on warm so I think the flappy thing is opening and closing but when set on warm it is lukewarm at best when at standstill. Gets warmer as I drive along.

Anysuggestions appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Could be your thermostat mate, there has been an influx of this on here lately,

Have you tried changing it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My problem was the water pump - hadn't realised at all but it was completely screwed. Now with that repaired, all seems well again. I guess this probably seems obvious now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess I should have mentioned mine is a Diesel but it obviously still has a thermostat and a water pump so I have a couple of leads to go on now.

I'll update when/if I get it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, was the water pump. I think it may have failed ages ago. They have a metal pulley and a plastic impellor. Apparently a common fault is the plastic impellor breaks away but still spins albeit less efficiently. This can cause intermitent and confusing symptoms.

I was charged £240 to replace it. Part cost around £60. I think I may have got shafted.

Epilogue - It is now taking an awful long time for the eng temp gauge to hit a decent temp. I did 30 motorway miles today, taking it easy, low revs, 65mph, when I arrived it read 75 degrees. I think I need a thermostat as well!

I hate this car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Becareful not to miss diagnose your car, as you have had your water pump and belt replaced then all the water and anti-freeze would have been changed. Antifreeze is supposed to aid in cooling and increases boiling temps, so ud prob find that the antifreeze is doing its job, if you think your thermostat is shagged then let the car run up for a while and feel the radiator say after 30 mins of running, if its stone cold then yeh its shagged, if your temp is reading sky high aswell then yes its time to change

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm not sure about the diesel, but I would imagine it to be fairly similar to the petrol and dual fuel models. The temperature gauge should rise to about 82C in under 10 minutes after starting, and never drop below 80C. If it does, then you have a stuck thermostat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post

I was charged £240 to replace it. Part cost around £60. I think I may have got shafted.

I hate this car

Not really. It is a ****** to change it, about three hours maybe more. £180 labour for 3-4hours is not too bad... Even if it was not the problem don't worry too much its good to get them replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes its good practise to get it replaced if you feel you need to and there is a problem. As for temp gauges reading 80 degrees in less then 10 mins well thats highly incorrect, it doesnt matter how quick or slow your car warms up, as long as the fan kicks in and doesnt over heat then there isnt a problem, if it takes longer to warm up then its more then likely to be a stronger mix of antifreeze, if it dont take long then you have a week mix of anti-freeze, mine takes over 20 mins to get up to 80 degrees and thats down to a 60/40 mix of antifreeze, no once has mine over heated or caused any concern as it stays at half way and fans cut in and out as they should

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information