User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2.2dti Temp needle hardly moved after 370 mile round trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.2dti Temp needle hardly moved after 370 mile round trip!

My temp needle hasnt moved in quite a while. It used to take ages to move to 90 degrees and during this cold weather it never moved t all (stayed on 70 deg). So today I and a bit of a road trip with my father-in-law to buy him a new car (Nice british racing greeen Jag with white leather). it was 185 miles from Plymouth, up the M5 then on to the A303 to a place near Guildford. I checked the guage about 40 miles into the trip and it hadnt moved fro m70 deg (minimum the gauge shows). About 100 miles into the trip on the A303 it got to 75 degrees. Propbably because I was having fun droping it a gear and over taking everyone. After that it droped back to the minimum the needle goes to.

I changed the thermostat about 8 months ago but that never really improved the very slow temp increase but recently its got a lot worse and so has my MPG. I was getting 54mpg on long journeys like the one I have just done. On this road trip I got 45mpg (I expected more) but around town I get 31mpg but I used to get 41mpg.

I'm guessing the stat is crap and will replace it (AGAIN!) but has anyone replaced a temperature sensor before? Where is its location? I may do that at the same time to cover all bases.

Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you go for a drive to get some heat into the engine, then stop the car and let it tick over until the fans cut in, what temperature does the gauge read? If its just over 90 then the gauge and temp sender are ok imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did it this morning after dropping the wife to work. I sat in the car park for 10 minutes with the engine idleing and the needle had moved from 70 degrees to 74 degrees.

The Stat I put in 8 months ago was a thrid party one and not Vauxhall. I think I'll pop down the dealers after work and get a thermostat. If its still doing it after that then it must be a sensor somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9CDTi

Year : 2005

Mileage : Lots

When you change the thermostat, take the sensor just above it out too and give it a clean. This is the water temperature sensor. There was a bit of crap stuck to mine. Cleaned it off and changed the 'stat. All back to normal and at 90 degrees after 10 minutes or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sat in the car park again this morning for 10 minutes as I had noticed, whilst dropping my wife off to work, that the temp was just over 80 deg. After 10 mins in the car park it got to just over 85 degs. It hasnt done that in months! I'll probably still replace the stat just for piece of mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Went into the dealers today to get the thermostat and gasket. A bit mire expensive than the £12 one a fitted 6months ago! Thanks to the vectra-c discount card I paid £39 instead of £47. The gasket was £2.68 with discount or £3.21 without. Will fit next weekend. Hopefully it'll be better than the cheaper OEM version I installed 6 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Replaced the old thermostat with the new Vauxhall stat and housing. It now reaches 90 degrees within 5 miles! That's more like it. I compared the old against new before I installed and the thermostat seemed to sit about 1mm higher than the new one. It could be that the housing isn't designed to take generic stats.

Thread Information