User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: HELP!! Rear lights giving me a headache

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nelson, Treharris
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default HELP!! Rear lights giving me a headache

    Hi All

    Having spent a few weeks getting my recently purchased 03 2.2Dti Signum running properly, I thought I was in the clear to get my towbar fitted and get away for a few days......but no!

    Had the towbar (witter) fitted this morning, and all was going well until they plugged in the wiring harness to the rear control module.

    It seems that someone has had a poke about with the snips in there before, and as a result, my rear sidelights come on with the ignition (even with switch off) and remain on, the trailer board that they plugged in to test the electrics just had the brake lights on at the same time as the car sidelights.

    They suspect that someone may have tried to bypass a control module fault to patch up the rear lights and get them working well enough to use the car.

    I don't have a clue about auto electrics and I have about 8 bits of wire dangling and taped up that I don't know what to do with?

    Really don't know where to start with this and need to sort it urgently as our first holiday is booked for 2 weeks time.

    Jon

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nelson, Treharris
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by signum_jon View Post
    Hi All

    Having spent a few weeks getting my recently purchased 03 2.2Dti Signum running properly, I thought I was in the clear to get my towbar fitted and get away for a few days......but no!

    Had the towbar (witter) fitted this morning, and all was going well until they plugged in the wiring harness to the rear control module.

    It seems that someone has had a poke about with the snips in there before, and as a result, my rear sidelights come on with the ignition (even with switch off) and remain on, the trailer board that they plugged in to test the electrics just had the brake lights on at the same time as the car sidelights.

    They suspect that someone may have tried to bypass a control module fault to patch up the rear lights and get them working well enough to use the car.

    I don't have a clue about auto electrics and I have about 8 bits of wire dangling and taped up that I don't know what to do with?

    Really don't know where to start with this and need to sort it urgently as our first holiday is booked for 2 weeks time.

    Jon
    Pic of someones bodge of the rear light wiring attached

  3. #3
    Regular Member andy.l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wirral / ellesmere port
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : insignia tourer

    Trim : elite

    Engine : 2.0 cdti 160

    Year : 2011

    Default

    flamin hell man your in a right tangle here.whats the previous owner
    tried or fitted there ????

    can you figure out if anything has been fitted because you will need to
    check this out.

    think i wud need to see this in the flesh so i can see whats going on here



  4. #4
    Regular Member ChrisBilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Rift, Cardiff
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Can you contact the previous owner to find out wtf they have done and why?
    Do you get any bulb warning? Does it show a warning if you remove the sidelight bulb?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nelson, Treharris
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy.l View Post
    flamin hell man your in a right tangle here.whats the previous owner
    tried or fitted there ????

    can you figure out if anything has been fitted because you will need to
    check this out.

    think i wud need to see this in the flesh so i can see whats going on here


    I ran it down to my nearest auto electrician just to get an opinion on whats been done - he seems to think that someone has tried to tap into the electrics to fit a trailer board for a bike rack, as there was no evidence of a towbar having been fitted before, rather than using a proper electrics kit.

    Most of the taped wires are intact, so have been scotchlocked into rather than cut completely. all that is disconnected are the yellow/black wires into the the large brown connector, and the yellow/blacks coming out of the large blue connector, and the high level brake light feed.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nelson, Treharris
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBilly View Post
    Can you contact the previous owner to find out wtf they have done and why?
    Do you get any bulb warning? Does it show a warning if you remove the sidelight bulb?
    I get a bulb failure warning light up on the dash, and the central display scrolls thru advising me to "check" all the rear side/brake lights.

    I'd already been through checking all the bulbs to try and get rid of the warning, but they all seem okay, only realised that it was all wired funny when the towbar fitters removed the side panel in the boot and showed me the loose wiring.

    If I could find the previous owner I'd have him by the throat by now! lol

    It appears that they tried to wire a trailer board for a bike rack, etc directly into the existing cabling rather than using the dedicated socket on the rec module.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nelson, Treharris
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by signum_jon View Post
    Pic of someones bodge of the rear light wiring attached
    On my photo there is a large blue connector, which in turn has one white, one brown, and one blue smaller connector on it.

    The small blue connector has the following wire colours coming from it, top to bottom:

    Red
    Black/Blue
    Black
    Yellow/Black
    Yellow/Black

    I'm in the process of tracing the wires through the rear lighting loom and wondered if anyone can tell me what the two yellow/black wires lead to?

    One goes to the n/s rear light cluster, but is it the upper or lower one?

    Cheers, Jon

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HID Headache....
    By MJL in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th March 2009, 23:53
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th March 2009, 17:56
  3. Dark lights and Rear Lexus lights finally fitted
    By Leviathan in forum Styling
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 29th February 2008, 22:35

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •