Thread: Half CANbus/Full CANbus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Half CANbus/Full CANbus?

I think I understand the concept of CANbus. Its the system whereby the ECU tells a component to do something rather than everything being hardwired, an example being the brake lights being told to operate by the ECU rather than by the brake light switch on the pedal. Most new cars from European manufacturers now have this system. I've seen posts referring to Vec-Cs either being half or full CANbus.

What does this mean? Are older Cs half and newer ones full? What CAN controlled functions are omitted from the half CANbus cars? I'm assuming my 52 plate DTi Elegance will be half CANbus.

Sorry for the myriad of questions but its been bugging me for a few days now.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A CAN (Controller Area Network) bus is basically a serial bus (a bit like USB) that links all the various electronics modules together. This drastically reduces the amount of wiring needed between various bits and pieces.

In the case of the brake light example, the brake switch will be connected to a nearby computer. This will send the "brakes on" signal to another module (via the CAN bus) that's closer to the actual lights. This module will then do the actual turning on of the lights. Actually the brake lights are probably not the best example 'cause I think there's a specific wire just for the brake signal as a redundant backup if the CAN fails...

As far as I know just about everything in the Vectra C depends on/uses CAN. I too have wondered what all this talk about "full CAN" vs "half CAN" is. My best guess is that people using these terms are referrrng to the radio interface. AFAIK the older Vectra Cs didn't use CAN exclusively for the radio <=> display interface whereas the newer Cs do. If that's the case then I'd probably use the term "95% CAN" rather than "half CAN"...

I'd be interested to hear other explanations...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You guys are both nearly there.. the simplist way of identifiying full or 1/2 CANBUS is to look at your steering wheel..Buttons are 1/2 canbus, but if you have the scroll-wheel's then the car is full CANBUS..normally fitted with the newer CD30 and above range of headunits which are part of the network, so must be switched off via tech2 to be removed. The older head units you could just extract, then manually code back in later

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2
    You guys are both nearly there.. the simplist way of identifiying full or 1/2 CANBUS is to look at your steering wheel..Buttons are 1/2 canbus, but if you have the scroll-wheel's then the car is full CANBUS..normally fitted with the newer CD30 and above range of headunits which are part of the network, so must be switched off via tech2 to be removed. The older head units you could just extract, then manually code back in later
    Sorry for sounding thick, but with the new style headunits, what would the consequences should someone just remove one without getting permission from tech 2? Need to be re-programmed?

I've not done this by the way, just would like to know for future refernce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

I took mine out to fit my dvd system etc and have not had to do anything. If i wanted to sell the original head unit then i would have had to have it Tech2'd to get it to work in the new vehicle. Mine IS full canbus.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by stevedee3
    A CAN (Controller Area Network) bus is basically a serial bus (a bit like USB) that links all the various electronics modules together. This drastically reduces the amount of wiring needed between various bits and pieces.

In the case of the brake light example, the brake switch will be connected to a nearby computer. This will send the "brakes on" signal to another module (via the CAN bus) that's closer to the actual lights. This module will then do the actual turning on of the lights. Actually the brake lights are probably not the best example 'cause I think there's a specific wire just for the brake signal as a redundant backup if the CAN fails...

As far as I know just about everything in the Vectra C depends on/uses CAN. I too have wondered what all this talk about "full CAN" vs "half CAN" is. My best guess is that people using these terms are referrrng to the radio interface. AFAIK the older Vectra Cs didn't use CAN exclusively for the radio <=> display interface whereas the newer Cs do. If that's the case then I'd probably use the term "95% CAN" rather than "half CAN"...

I'd be interested to hear other explanations...
    on the 04 cars vauxhall started to use the canbus
    the radio can be changed but there no ing surply to the radio you will have to use the cig lighter wire
    if your car was made by opel there is a nokia wirring loom fitted in the glovebox loom
    if you have a 05 it will be canbum and it hasnt got a iso plug behind the radio
    you can get the plug to go to iso
    but you still do not get ing from the iso plug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Sorry for sounding thick, but with the new style headunits, what would the consequences should someone just remove one without getting permission from tech 2? Need to be re-programmed?

I've not done this by the way, just would like to know for future refernce
    It will not work , simple as that im afraid , the radio needs to be tech 2'd on removal from the car and then reprogrammed to the new car .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So in simple terms, the only difference is the integration of the stereo headunit in the CANbus system?

With all the reports of stereos with a mind of their own, you'd think Vx would have been best to stick with the system of the pre 04 cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It would be interesting to know what else you can't 'just do' anymore without applying in writing to the ECU.

I do know that cars are becoming very fussy over batteries now and have heard that on some even they now have to be coded in to the ECU. If not it detects different values and switches off non essential equipment to 'save battery life'. Basically thinks the battery is going flat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not on the Vec's mate...when Mrs GSi's vec's battery died we just swapped another in..no recoding or anything...

they're complex, but not that complex yet..

Thread Information