Thread: Airbox mod 1.8 LS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Airbox mod 1.8 LS

Is it worth while doing on my car & replacing the filter with a K&N panel filter
    Car has a nasty flat spot in 5th gear?

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.6T SIDI Petrol

Year : 2014

I would recommend it mate.. you can use K&N, Pipercross or BMC panel filters, they are all essentially the same..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi_G View Post
    Is it worth while doing on my car & replacing the filter with a K&N panel filter
    Car has a nasty flat spot in 5th gear?

G
    a nasty flat spot in 5th gear, not sure about that,,, most people including me did the mod because of a flat spot, changing 1st to 2nd gear or pulling away, I put a K&N in a mates 1.8 when I serviced it and did the air box mod, but his MPG droped 4 mpg although it ran great, like me he uses a GM stock air filter, the last car I drove that seemed to have a flat spot in 5th gear it turned out it was the coil pack faulty,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CLOMP View Post
    a nasty flat spot in 5th gear, not sure about that,,, most people including me did the mod because of a flat spot, changing 1st to 2nd gear or pulling away, I put a K&N in a mates 1.8 when I serviced it and did the air box mod, but his MPG droped 4 mpg although it ran great, like me he uses a GM stock air filter, the last car I drove that seemed to have a flat spot in 5th gear it turned out it was the coil pack faulty,
    When I say flat spot, going through the gears 3/4th it seems to be pulling strong, change to 5th and there ain't alot of power or pick up! If I was sitting at 60mph in 5th gear on the mway I'd have to shift down to 4th If I was overtaking? Does that sound right?

I think I'll go rip my airbox apart, just been serviced so fresh filter in it now, only covered 200 miles!

Does anyone have a link to the airbox mod? Again I'm on the iPhone & I can't search!

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi_G View Post
    When I say flat spot, going through the gears 3/4th it seems to be pulling strong, change to 5th and there ain't alot of power or pick up! If I was sitting at 60mph in 5th gear on the mway I'd have to shift down to 4th If I was overtaking? Does that sound right?

I think I'll go rip my airbox apart, just been serviced so fresh filter in it now, only covered 200 miles!

Does anyone have a link to the airbox mod? Again I'm on the iPhone & I can't search!

G
    no that dont sound right mate, If I was sitting at 60 on m way in 5th gear, and put my foot down it would pull clean no need to change down, try injector cleaner I use redex, air box mod is in how to's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Airbox mod is a piece of cake and always worth doing.

If you look at an old panel filter, you'll see that it's only dirty across about half of the surface. The plastic cowling inside causes the air to only flow to the rear-most section of the filter.

Take the filter out, unclip and remove the curved plastic section in the box (mine broke when I did this!). Job done!

I had a flat spot, but it disappeared when I did the mod and put a K&N in. No noticeable increase in mpg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would try the air box mod I have read no negative effects, the mention of mpg drop of 4mpg could be many things and is the first time I have read/heard of this happening.
    K&N filter has little/maybe no effect I think, but I still like having it lol.
    I had no flat spot before air box mod , but much to my surprise car felt more responsive.
    That said I agree with Clomp car should pull ok @ 60mph in 5th air box mod or not.

Thread Information