0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Getting my rear end checked

After putting up with it for a couple of months, I have decided to take the somewhat expensive option of booking my SRi in with Vauxhall.

Since buying her I have noticed a really loud and irritating suspension type squeaking/rubbing coming from the passenger rear wheel area.

Driving around town is O.K. for the most part, unless you hit a pot hole or bump and that triggers it off. I went to visit someone in the country last week, and all the way down the country lanes the noise was unbearable.

I have taken the wheel off, and the bearing seems ok. and have checked things like the exhaust rubbing, etc. I don't think it is that simple though. After reading other threads here, I think it is either suspension related, or something like the rear bushes.

She goes in on the 28th for a check up whilst I am away on business...Fingers crossed it is something obvious and not too expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I belive it is very simple...
    Have you ever used your spare wheel?
    My squeaking noise started as soon as i did and repackaged brace and wheel etc. As a soon as i put the cases in the boot to go on holiday it stopped.
    I'm pretty sure therefore that it is the wheel or to be more accurate the polystyrene rubbish that the wheel and the brace and jack packs onto.
    When you go over a bump it squeaks,listen to the squeak,if like me as a child you broke poly up to make "snow" the sound might now be all to familiar to you
    Spray some WD40 over the whole lot,or pack some old cloth around it.
    And hopefully you can spend your dosh somewhere else rather than the stealers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sparky,

Funny you should mention that. Today I was carrying bags of stone chips in the boot, and never heard a thing.

I have never used the spare wheel, but will take it out tomorrow and pack the polystyrene toolkit packing...See if that does the job

Cheers for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Worries Mucka!
    Glad to be of help,let me know if its the cure you've been seeking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Sparky, this definitley isn't the cause of the problem...

I took the entire spare wheel, and contents out of the boot. Took it for a run, and started to think I had cured it. Then, I took it over some gentle speed bumps, and there it was...Squeak..squeak, b****y squeak!!

Oh well, At least I can confirm now that its nothing in the boot causing it. It's definitely something underneath the rear passengers side. Bsed on another suggestion I have WD40'd the rear springs...no difference. I am guessing it is like I originally thought - Supsension or bush related.

I hopefully will know more after the 28th.

Thanks for you help with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok mate pants eh?
    Sorry to hear it wasn't that,i'll probably get the shock now of finding out mine doeas the same,i've never taken it all out and given it a run....
    I wait with baited breath to hear what happens with you. Because i'll mention it to the stealers now when they take mine on Tuesday for the oxy recall.
    Keep in touch on this one,hear from you soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingkiwi
    After putting up with it for a couple of months, I have decided to take the somewhat expensive option of booking my SRi in with Vauxhall.

Since buying her I have noticed a really loud and irritating suspension type squeaking/rubbing coming from the passenger rear wheel area.

Driving around town is O.K. for the most part, unless you hit a pot hole or bump and that triggers it off. I went to visit someone in the country last week, and all the way down the country lanes the noise was unbearable.

I have taken the wheel off, and the bearing seems ok. and have checked things like the exhaust rubbing, etc. I don't think it is that simple though. After reading other threads here, I think it is either suspension related, or something like the rear bushes.

She goes in on the 28th for a check up whilst I am away on business...Fingers crossed it is something obvious and not too expensive

I'll be fascinated to hear the outcome, as my Siggy does exactly the same thing. Hit a bump and it starts (it seems worse with someone in the passenger seat).
    Is it less obvious when it's wet? I'm suspecting a bush somehere, and I need to get mine booked in when I get back from holiday.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well,i'm on rest days at the moment so....
    I took her for a spin radio off,listened to the squeaking,its got worse
    So parked her up and simply went round the back and pushed down on the car,firstly placing my hands above the light set,so i'm pushing on the main body of the car,NO SQUEAK!
    So then pushed down on the boot and VOILA! Squeak O-Rama!
    Hmm. So opend the boot,checked for rubbbing contact,this is the bit when i'm mistified how i can miss things like this on my OWN CAR!
    The lock casing is rubbing on the catch which to me can only mean the boot is out of alignment,so WD40 where the casing meets the body of the car when closed,closed the boot pushed down on the boot,Squeak Gone! I should be happy,but then stood back and saw that there is approximatley 3/4cm difference in the gap between the left side of the boot and the main body,than the right!!!
    So opened the boot and found the seal has been worn right through just under the lip and has a 6cm tear in it!!
    She's a year old for crying out loud!
    So as she's going into the stealers tomoz i've called them up and added it to the list!
    Bl**dy Cars,
    Great when they work but pants when they don't.
    So peeps,check your boot alignment........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sparky,

I'll give my boot a check when I get home tonight.

After checking everything else in the boot, the next thing will be too take the whole boot lid off, then see if it's still squeaking!

I'll let you know the results of this latest remedy attempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's not the boot....Not much else to check in the rear, apart from clambering underneath. Unfortunately, I don't know that much about the underside of the Vectra, so looks like I'll have to leave it to the so-called experts.

Bit of a result tho...When I brought her there was no Vauxhall pack (No radio guide, service book, code/serial number card, etc) Have since got a replacement set. Whilst I had the boot open, and standing at an odd angle, I spotted what looked like paper wedged down in a space behind the drivers side rear light bulb assembly. Gingerly slid my hand down there...and lo and behold, pulled out the original VX pack in its leather case. Don't know how long it had been there, as there was no service history in the Service book after the pre-delivery inspection stamp....And before you ask, no this wasn't the cause of the squeaking either...

Cheers for all the tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information