Thread: FAO DTI/CDTi owners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default FAO DTI/CDTi owners

Just wondering if any of you have ever tried Millers Diesel Power Plus in your DTi/CDTi?

www.millersoils.net

I used to use this in my Passat TDi 130 and found that it gave it a little bit of extra kick and it ran quieter too.

Living in Germany now, its quite difficult to get a hold of this stuff but after much use of google and freetranslation.com I managed to locate an online supplier the other day and I'm having a couple of bottles delivered tomorrow.

If anybody has used it, do you feel it makes a difference in performance/mpg/running?

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

to be honest mate, use a good quality fuel and you shouldn't need any of that until much higher mileages. Only my opinion though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by AJA
    to be honest mate, use a good quality fuel and you shouldn't need any of that until much higher mileages. Only my opinion though.
    I see it as more of a preventative measure. Especially when it comes to fuel pump lubrication. VP44s on the 2.2 DTi are fairly expensive to replace at £750+. Also by raising the cetane rating, in theory the fuel should burn cleaner, the engine should be more powerful and more economical as its having to burn fractionally less fuel to do the same job.

Some engines are slightly noisier when using this treatment (merc cdi's especially). I'd just be interested to find out what other site users think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've used it in Tesco's worthless diesel, makes it just about bearable. Reduces that direct injection clatter quite a bit, and reduces the smoke output considerably. On plain Tesco's diesel I can fill the road with smoke using medium throttle in 2nd. The additives reduce that considerably.

Though I prefer running on either BP Ultimate or a B70 biodiesel blend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I used Shell Diesel Extra in my last diesel car when I lived in Edinburgh and very good it was too. With my coupons here, I can use Shell, Aral (BP) or Esso so they're all good quality fuels and pretty smoke free.

Its interesting that you say it reduces the amount of smoke produced, that should be good news for the turbo and the EGR valve.

BTW... as an example of how much the British Treasury is taking out of the motorists pocket, Diesel is roughly 20 cents a litre cheaper than petrol here at the equivalent of 78p a litre.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I use it all the time in my 2.0Dti, for the same reason ( pump longevity, hopefully ). Car does seem quieter and definately less smoke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Do you put it in every tankful?

Very expensive way if you do. I use some now and again in my Vec to keep it in good shape. Fuel pump still packed up on it tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thats why! should have put it in every tankful, only joking CDTI, what car did your pump pack in on, and how much to repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CDTi
    Do you put it in every tankful?

Very expensive way if you do. I use some now and again in my Vec to keep it in good shape. Fuel pump still packed up on it tho
    It works out at about an extra 2p per litre of fuel if you use the recommended dose of 20ml to 20 litres.

Luckily, I'm paying about 45p a litre for Shell/BP diesel at the moment so the added 2p is not going to break the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Modern ultra low sulphur fuels need expensive lubricity improver additives to avoid the problems above (sulphur acts as a lubricant). The fuel companies put as little as possible in to save on costs. However, if you buy ordinary fuel from Tesco or ASDA or other major supermarkets you will get the same fuel as the standard "oil major" fuels since it meets EN 590 or EN 228 and the supermarkets have supply agreements with the majors.

The best lubricant fuel to get is a biodiesel which is usually B20 (never heard of B70 - not an industry norm) 20% bio product. No one (apart from a few tree huggers) runs on 100% biofuels though because although a high cetane number it has terrible cold properties and also will eat through all the seals in time. A lot of US city corporations discovered this the hard way.

A lot of oil companies are starting to blend in small quantities of bio fuel into the ordinary pump diesel to improve lubricity - even 0.5% makes a big difference.

A bit off track, I know, but I am at home, off sick and very very bored as well as being involved in fuel testing when working

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information