Thread: The Big suspension spend off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking The Big suspension spend off!

Well seeing as GDP has halted I did my bit by splashing out a load of cash on the Signum...

Needed some new suspension as shocks are gone and front right spring is turning and creaking, and obviously that calls for some modification!

Just wondered if I have got the right stuff from those with the knowledge. I'm a mechanic anyways in the army so will save some money on fitting (and its going to be a fair days work I think). Spent around 514 quid including all postage as I am in Germany lol. Ordered in:

Eibach Pro Spring Kit
    Bilstein B4's front and rear
    2 x Strut bearings

Rear drop links
    Rear ARB bushes
    Rear upper control arms

Front ARB bushes
    Front drop links

That should clear up my knocking and creaking over speed bumps lol! Didnt go for the strut mounts as I am sure the older ones will survive another setup, just means changing them over.

Looks like everything is an easy swap over though, but any advice would be helpful. And please feel free to let me know if I have missed anything or great bargains as I just Looooove finding that out AFTER purchasing them lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

think you've got just about everything covered luke, did you get your new tyres in the end?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Oh dont even bring those up! The Germans are certainly not efficient when it comes to looking after the consumer. Was told they would take 2-3 days (last Wednesday)... called them up today, a week on, and got told...

'Sorry mr Hamblin, Zey are not inn jetzt! Zey could come in at anytime...'

Anytime? So June then? lol! Dying to try them out as they are meant to be highly rated but predicting more snow this week anyway so I will leave it a few weeks (if they ever come through).

Hopefully thats it all covered lol, looking at the item pics, it seems to be either a bolt off, bolt on job or something similiar for most of the parts Can't wait to get the spanners out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yeah its all bolts mate. I got someone to do mine for me but if i had more time and a bit more guts i'd love to have a go at it! Dont forget to get 4 wheel alignment done after wards too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by PORKBALLS29 View Post
    yeah its all bolts mate. I got someone to do mine for me but if i had more time and a bit more guts i'd love to have a go at it! Dont forget to get 4 wheel alignment done after wards too.
    Yeah I need to find a decent garage. My local in the UK is all lasered up and high tech... have trouble getting my wheels balanced right here lol!

Thanks for the link to the VXR styling pack part numbers btw Cant stand my XP fog light slatted grill's... need to issue myself with some honeycomb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Haha... well 3.5 hours with 2 trained mechanics (well Army trained lol) and we only managed to do the rear upper control arms (which are a doddle btw). Spent half that time trying to get the bridle over the rear ARB bush after realising I had ordered the wrong size.... Grrrr! Easy now I have the knack.

Quick question for anyone.... how the hell do you remove the rear drop links? Well I assume thats what they are called. Connect the upper arm to the ARB. Obviously one side is held in with a Torx screw, but the other is just a bush held on by its mount... any tips on removing 'em?

I am guessing by how rigid they are that they are still in good nick, but worth changing anyways while I am doing the rest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 DTH

Year : 2008

hehe u need decent ..... Crowbar... that how i got them done by myself.... crowbar patience and a bit of swearing...... also if u use long.....ish extension to do rear upper arms it takes about 25 mins a side....

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

How do you get a crowbar in there lol? I was pulling it over at a right angle and they wouldnt pop off the damn mounts lol! I found even with a normal 12" extension you could get in there fine. like you said, looking at 25 minutes a side. The how2 says it takes some faffing to get out...

The logical kind would realise it just lifts up and out of its guide plate ... Didn't half cut my knuckles open in that wheel arch though lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 DTH

Year : 2008

for the rear dropl links well... i managed to put somehow crowbar behind it and gentle (not ) pushing it out.... some washing up liquid comes handy....
    and then refitting opposite way... make sure tho u lubricate them well with grees or washing up liquid to make them pop on the bar easier..... it strongly recommended to take some valum before hand tho once u have first done second is easy

Thread Information