Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default need help

need some help.

ive changed my stat today and its worse than the old one,

i get hot air but once the temp gets to 87c and i put heaters on 2 it drops to the bottem (70c)

all pips get hot except the little one coming from the rad to coolant tank but once temp gets to 92c i can see coolant coming from that little pipe,

even when im driving and no heaters on the temp drops, could it be that ive got the wrong stat in? or do you think it could be air in the system but tbh i dont think its that
    Last edited by chris1804; 22nd January 2011 at 19:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airlock through the heater perchance ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do i bleed the system?

take the coolant cap off and run the engine with heaters on ? i done that for about 30 mins and the temp gauge never moved off the bottom,

stupid question but how do i know the old stat is stuck open? i put it in some hot water and i didnt see anything happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen talk of disconnecting one pipe from the heater connection going through the bulkhead behind the engine and filling the cooling system via that - heater first as it were.

Testing the old stat - was the water you put it in hot enough ? Try water straight from a boiled kettle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy-UK View Post
    I've seen talk of disconnecting one pipe from the heater connection going through the bulkhead behind the engine and filling the cooling system via that - heater first as it were.

Testing the old stat - was the water you put it in hot enough ? Try water straight from a boiled kettle.

just tested old stat with kettle and nothink happened, ill give it another go tomorrow see if theres any airlocks in the system, on the stat housing wich pips should get hot? am i right in saying that the rad pipe should only get hot when at 92c? (when the stat opens?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know on the coolant tank you have 2 small pipes when i start the car from cold the top one is pumping coolant back into the tank is that ment to?

the one under that the bottom small pipe, i only see coolant get pump out of that when engine gets really hot but stps after a while, i take it thats when the stat opens and closes letting coolant into the rad and back into the tank? so the stat must be working?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey chris, from what you say it sounds like the pipes are working as they should. To check if the stat is working, leave the heater off, have the car running and watch the gauge. As it gets near to 80/82 ish, check the big pipe that comes off the thermostat and goes to the radiator. This should remain cold, untill the stat opens, then it should warm up. If thats happening, then i would suggest the stat is working fine. If you had an airlock in the heating system, your heater wouldnt get hot.
    In this cold weather and on short runs, i can see my car temp at 82 and if i put the heater on, i can watch the gauge fall. Now mine has got a new stat not long ago, so i doubt theres anything wrong, it's just how these engines are in this weather, as it doesnt behave this way in the summer months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what you've said, the steady return flow to the expansion tank would be the 'main' coolant circuit and good flow would suggest the water pump is working nicely. I'd go along with your theory that the pipe under that is the 'extended' cooling circuit only active when the stat opens as you suspect.
    It will depend on your engine as to which pipes feel hotter than others - I could work it out on my 3.2 but I seem to remember you have a diesel ? But the basic principle that the rad pipes should be the last to get warm sounds a good one to me.
    Old stat did'n't open even in kettle hot water ? Jammed shut or failed completely I'd say.

I'd have thought the age old method of running the car up to full temperature with the heater on full hot and the cap off the expansion tank should clear out any airlocks, but saying that I had a similar problem with my first Senator - I ended up draining the coolant again and slowly filling the system with the engine running, heater full hot....... as the tank level dropped, I added more until it stopped dropping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the new stat aint doing its job right, just tested that big pipe off the housing and its gettin warm and when i feel the rad thats also warm but the little pipe off the rad is cold. Im confused now .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just took housing off again and put new stat in hot water and nothin happened so i pulled at the pin and it came out but pin moves when i put in water now. Gonna get another new stat now see if tha helps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information