0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Newbie.. EGR help please??

I know that this has been discussed LOTS of times already, but I recently bought a Vectra C 1.9 CDTi Sri (150) and the power is very low to non-existant below 2000 rpm when the turbo kicks in.. (runs well above that, with no smoke etc). Looking at the previous threads it sounds like it might be the EGR??

Have Vx actually designed/released a replacement part for this common issue? I know I could clean this or replace it, but dont want the same problem reocurring if I can help it.

If there is a new part could someone please point me in the right direction of the new part number?
    Last edited by VectraC..; 21st January 2011 at 22:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ecotommy View Post
    Can't quite see how a tuning box would fix what is obviously a fault?

Latest part number for the EGR is 55215031. However I would expect a warning light if the egr was sticking open or closed. Before replacing take it out and check it - very easy job - 1/2 hour max.
    Fortunately there is a trader on ebay supplying them fairly cheap at the moment, they are genuine in the vaux box with a pair of gaskets. Was £70 but has now gone up to £80.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EOIBSA:GB:1123

Also take a look at your swirl flap mechanism.
    Also consider the DPF being partly blocked (if fitted) as this stifles the performance until the turbo takes over. Usually though blockage gives limp home mode shortly after a period of poor performance as you have described.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as mozzer99 has if it has a DPF (fitted to the estate) you wont have one if its a hatchback, may be blocked, try doings a forced regen

however, before you take to a garage, try a few things first (will cost you no more than £30)

Run a can of 10K boost through the engine, this will clean the throttle body and any crud in engine
    Buy yourself a can of carb cleaner, remove EGR and boost sensor and clean (see how2 section)
    Bottle of redex in fuel to clean injectors and fuel system

Also what may help, do 'airbox' mod and put a new airfilter in or K&N panel

and a service if it hasnt had one!

service and new filter will cost a bit more than £30 though lol
    Engine-DTUK eco3,K&N panel filter/airbox mod1&2,samco vac hoses,covers detailedExt-XP spliter,sig fogs,eyebrows,tinted side repeaters&rear lights,debadged,CC'd vxr valance/boot strip/calipers,heated jets,flatblade wipers,reverse cam,mtec bulbs,twin exhaust,8k HIDs,snowflakes,opel grill/insig griffinInt-TV/NAV/DVD,led&white GID conversion,footwell lighting,cooled g'box,custom headrests,blinds,JBL sub/amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In mine, the turbo kicks in at around 1700rpm.

Do the air-box mod and clean the EGR and it should be fine!

After doing this i´ve eliminated the "nothing appends" before the 1700rpm and now the car is more responsive, right after the 1500rpm.

For example, now i can drive the car in 3º gear below 1500rpm with no hesitations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vx have redesigned the EGR valve yes. There is a how2 on cleaning it and where some claim the engine responds to the cleaning - I'm not convinced.

The other half of the story is the software which operates the EGR valve depending on several sensors - MAF/MAP/temperature sensors and throttle pedal position. The update changes how the ECU uses the EGR valve and when. The EGR valve in the CDTI isn't position monitored either, the only via it knows what is really going on is the readings from the MAF and MAP sensor (Boost Sensor). The later CDTI's use the MAP solely, the earlier ones som I am told use the MAF or a combination of the two.

Gazza4
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Did the clean on the boost valve and the EGR. There was a noticable difference but after a few week, i started to notice a drop in power again at low revs. So did the clean againand made sure the EGR was working and still the same lag around 1000 to 1500 rpm.
    Did a test and blanked the EGR exhaust inlet and this made alot of difference. Pickup was better, throttle responce better and even a noticable improvement in miles per gallon. The downside! the dreaded EML!
    Ive done a liitle research and have seen some conflict advise on this, some say you can harm the engine in the long term as it is running leaner and hotter. Other advise is no problems reported regarding the Diesel 1.9 150 over a long period.
    Im considering the remap option now as i can not cope with the low rev poor performance, just seems a pricey solution just to have your car running as youd expect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by sloper View Post
    I Did the clean on the boost valve and the EGR. There was a noticable difference but after a few week, i started to notice a drop in power again at low revs. So did the clean againand made sure the EGR was working and still the same lag around 1000 to 1500 rpm.
    Did a test and blanked the EGR exhaust inlet and this made alot of difference. Pickup was better, throttle responce better and even a noticable improvement in miles per gallon. The downside! the dreaded EML!
    Ive done a liitle research and have seen some conflict advise on this, some say you can harm the engine in the long term as it is running leaner and hotter. Other advise is no problems reported regarding the Diesel 1.9 150 over a long period.
    Im considering the remap option now as i can not cope with the low rev poor performance, just seems a pricey solution just to have your car running as youd expect
    My vectra 1.9 CDTI 150,is going in on monday for a major service,and while there,I am going to ask them if they can delete the EGR from the ECU by Tech2,as I want the "Hid"s present" enabling,so I might as well get that done at the same time for my extra £70 quid!!.(Robbing b******s comes to mind where VX are concerned). FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice.

Today I've had a oil service carried, cleaned the EGR and turbo sensor.

Result: slight improvement in the low rpm acceleration

I'm not convinced its how it should be though.

If I'm driving on the flat in 3rd gear or higher I'm unable to accerate if the revs are less than 1800? Is this normal for the car? It just means I have to change gear later to start the next gear at higher revs!! but I'm more concerned about the effect on the mpg!

I'm nor exactly technical but am aware of turbo lag and this seems excessive?

I'm going to try k&n panel and air intake mod tomorrow plus redex.. Will report back

I also have another common issue, 'low engine temperature' issue (won't reach 90 and is eratic). Could this be related? I wil be replacing the thermostat next week. (got to love these FIAT engines!)
    Last edited by VectraC..; 22nd January 2011 at 23:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your explanation of low power & the gears selected are quite normal for the 150, if in doubt pop it round & I'll give it the once over!, I have a spare egr for test purposes plus, I'm op com equipped with a mass of cdti knowledge, pm if your stuck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information