User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best way of checking the map on a cdti 150??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Whats the best way of checking the map on a cdti 150??

Hi

I have a cdti 150 that has been remapped in the past by a prevoius owner and im interested in knowing if theres a method i can use to check what was done to it.. All i know from the seller is the guy before him changed the set up with a laptop!!
    The reason i want to check it is the car runs ok but gives pretty poor mpg even if driven very sensibly.. Also on the last mot the tech said he believed it was running really rich as he had to blast it out to clear the black soot from the exhaust. My prevoius motor was a 300bhp cali and that still gave factory milage when cruising altho it was highly modded so im thinking it could of been done wrong or something
    On a long run im getting 38-40 mgp driving at 70 which isnt that good seeing as the fuel computer is showing 50-55 mpg.
    Any ideas would be very welcome.

Not sure if this is useful info or not but the car has no egr valve set up connected as its all been removed and blocked out with covers..
    Last edited by richiem; 19th January 2011 at 00:35. Reason: adding info

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

As said before mate, poor mpg and excessive smoke could be down to your inlet manifold. And also there isnt really a way to check to see what map is on there unless you go to a tuner and get them to pull the map from it and compare it to a standard one.
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now open and able to provide services

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry, did i post this subject already in the past
    Its been on my mind doin my head in a bit so prob forgot
    What am i looking for on the inlet matey?? Cracks or something?
    Looks fine to me as i cleaned it recently but maybe im not looking in the right place.
    Is there a common fault i should be looking for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There is a rod on the back of the manifold that moves your swirl valves, it's very common for this to fall off and if you look at the back of the manifold you will just see it lying there unattached, as for the poor mpg it could of had anything done to it, I'd probably but it back to standard and go from there

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To give some idea of the fuel usage im getting i calculated my fuel consumption twice now and it seems im getting 34mpg sensible urban driving ( by this i mean on a roads with the fuel computer showing 58mpg whilst driving ) and 40 mpg motorway use doin a steady 70..
    Now my 300bhp calibra use to do 32 mpg when driving on sensible run so im not that happy with that result seeing as i sold my pride and joy to get big gains on mpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

If he has used a laptop of his own accord, God only knows what he's done. A professional remap will change not only the fueling but the operation of the Turbo actuator and the vane geometry, this maintains the air to fuel ratio at that given RPM whilst boosting torque via cylinder pressure.

Diesel by their very nature run very lean at idle (40:1) and as the RPM's approach maximum power the mixture becomes more rich (18:1). Due to this, some think they can get away with adding more deisel during the induction stroke - and it will run with more power. Downside is fuel is not being burned properly - hence poor mpg. When you compare them to petrol which maintains a constant AFR roughly between (12-14.7:1).

My advice is get the map off or get a professional one done. The one already on the car can't be doing the much for the Swirl flaps (if you have an old style manifold), EGR valve and Cat.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Gazza, the car has no egr valve fitted at all bruv! The whole set up has been removed from the car and the openings blocked of with blanking plates.. I did find the egr valve in the boot floor of the car after a few weeks of owning her and it was completely blocked full of crap . The pipework from the egr was no were to be found!!
    Im guessing that the missing egr system is prob why the car smokes quite a bit if i excelerate harder ( black soot bomb)
    Is there a simple way of getting the map removed because tbh, im not that bothered with more performance and would really like to get better mpg out of her.. Im guessing that to do this i will need to replace the egr system on the car..
    Not sure what was done to the car but ive noticed the management light does not function at all as i found this out when i got a visit from the AA for an injector issue with the no 4 injector wiring bein damaged..
    Ive been told it was prob removed from the map when the bodge was done to stop it showing the missing egr sensor ..
    Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you have no EML light then they have had the EGR software removed from the ECU. The absence of the pipework means the EGR feeder pipes and cooler have been removes - essentially there is no 'bridge' across the two manifolds.

EGR valves actually cause smoking believe it or not. It is one of their downsides in favour of lowering the NOx emissions.

Only one way would be to contact the previous owner and ask him what he has done and if he has the original map for the engine.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Why would the computer show 55 mpg when he's only getting 40 mpg?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jrh1 View Post
    Why would the computer show 55 mpg when he's only getting 40 mpg?
    I think there is some computer wizardary behind it all too.

Gazza4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information