Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Please Help

Hi,
    I am big j's wife. I am afraid big j has passed away and I now have his vectra. Its a 2.2 sri.
    Car was going fine and drove it over christmas and new year. Went out to it few days ago and went to start it and all I got was weird noises from electrics like it had gone mad but when i turned key nothing from engine. just lots of banging and cracking noises and then the electrics all come on and the dash flashes lights - and radio comes on!!!
    Read the other posts and consensus seemed to be alternator problem. I charged the battery hoping to get it to garage for them to check but still same problem.
    Big J was the car man and sorted out problems with the cars but I am stumped and don't know what to do with it.
    I know the alternator charges battery and thought that if i charged the battery (which btw says it is fully charged) but no joy. What else does the alternator do? Could that still be the problem do you think?
    Would really appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.
    Wee H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi there, im sorry to hear of your loss. I will try and help, it sounds pretty simple and i believe a new battery would solve your problem. It sounds as if the battery has went flat and when you have went to start it you have heard lots of clicking etc. When you have got it going it has'nt took a charge and wont start again which suggests the battery is needing replaced. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sorry to hear that...condolences lady

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that . The indicator on the battery says it is good and fully charged!! I was hoping that the battery would just need charged so I attached the battery charger to it. It did what it was supposed to and the wee dial went high then settled in the middle. I left it for a few hours until it went to zero. When I went to start the car it was exactly the same as before. You cannot even hear the starter making an attempt. It just ticks and flashes for a minute then the radio and computer come on. Last time I tried the comp started flashing up that the rear indicator on the left then the right need replaced and the hazards were flashing. There is nothing from the engine though. Wish now I had paid more attention to 'here is how you change the battery' lol.
    The car had only sat for one day. It has been out in the drive for weeks before and not ever had a problem starting which is more than can be said for my corsa which does need a new battery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If youve got any breakdown cover you could try calling them out to check the battery, if you dont have cover i would try a new battery in it to rule that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I dont have break down cover but what i do have is a rover vitesse and it has a fairly new battery which i know works so i could change the batteries over and check it out that way. Just need to try and pin my step brother down to come and do that for me. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted as to whether it works or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Sorry to hear of your loss. No doubt we will be able to offer as much help and ideas to get your car back working correctly. Some else will be along soon to offer help and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

see if you can get it to start with jump leads or call dealers tell them your predicament Im sure they will send out assistance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear your news also. Ive had batteries in the past that appear fully charged but drain so quickly, they just cant fire the car. Hopefully this is your problem as it does sound a little like it could be. Will be an easy fix for you. Take care..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry for your loss. Welcome to vec c. If you have or have access to a multimeter check the batterys voltage, it should read around 12.5 volts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information